1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Thermodinamics: how many ways to make a set of population?

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone!

Here's my problem of the day:

Let's take a box containing 3 identical (but distinguishable) particles A B C. Let this be a canonical ensamble.

Suppose that A has energy [itex]\varepsilon_0[/itex] and both B and C have energy [itex]\varepsilon_1[/itex]. We thereforre have 2 energy level, [itex]n_0,n_1[/itex]. Take the number of states [itex]g_{\alpha}[/itex] in each energy level [itex]\varepsilon_{\alpha}[/itex] to be [itex]1[/itex].

Now, I want to calculate in how many ways the set of population [itex]\vec{n}=(n_0,n_1)[/itex] can be realized.

At first sight I'd say that they're two: I can take [itex](A,BC)[/itex] or [itex](A,CB)[/itex], being the particle distinguishable.

But if I use the well-known boltzmann forumula [tex]W(\vec{n})=N!\prod_{\alpha}\frac{ g_{\alpha}^{n_{\alpha}}}{n_{\alpha}}[/tex] and I put in the g's and n's I've taken above I get:[tex]W(\vec{n})=3! \left(\frac{1^1}{1!}\frac{1^2}{2!}\right)=3[/tex]so there should be three ways to set up the vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]!

Where am I mistaking?? Thanks for help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2
    Ah, well, it's ok! I figured that out, I've done some serious rookie mistakes...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook