1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics and Discrete distributions

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The probabilities of blood types O, A, B and AB are 0.46, 0.39, 0.12, 0.03 respectively.
    If a clinic is seeking either type O or B from six random individuals, what is the probability that at least 2 people have the desired blood type?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure where to start. From the questions, I dont think it's a binomial distribution or a poisson distribution. All i have so far is...

Where X=people with the desired blood type

P(X≥ 2)=1-P(0)-(P(1)

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Since the probability of being O is 0.46 and the probability of being B is 0.12, what is the probability of being either O or B?

What is the probability of not being either O or B, or in other words, what is the probability of being A or AB?

4. May 26, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

You are conducting six independent trials, in which success in a trial is defined as "this person has type O or B blood". That gives you a binomial distribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted