1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics (probability) problem

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Basically the garbage information summed up: a truck is transporting a bunch of batteries, with lots of different brands. The truck crashes and the batteries and scrambled.

Suppose the number of pairs of batteries is n. Each pair is a different brand. If 2r batteries are chosen at random, and 2r < n, show that the probability there is no matching pair, by brand, is:

2[tex]^{}2r[/tex] n! (2n - 2r)! / (2n)! (n - 2r)!

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know, but I can see that the expectation formula E(x) = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (x P(X=x)) and the Permutation formula nPr = n! / (n - r)! and Combination formula nCr = n! / (n - r)! r! may be useful as they seem to be of a similiar format to the given equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The part is struggle most with is why they have taken 2 to the power of 2r. (2n - 2r) is obviously total batteries less chosen batteries. The denominator is total batteries by pairs less batteries, but again I'm at a loss as to why they have done this.

Can anyone shed some light?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2^(2r) = # of all subsets of a set with 2r elements.

n! / [(2r)! (n - 2r)!] = nC(2r)

(2n)! / [(2r)! (2n - 2r)!] = (2n)C(2r)

Does this help?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?