1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult Stats Problem (Repeated Elements)

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A word has n letters, in which one of those letters is present a times and another is present b times (all other letters are present only once).

a.) How many combinations of x letters are there from this word?
    b.) How many arrangements of x letters are there from this word?

2. Relevant equations

nCr=n!/((n-r)!r!)
    nPr=n!(n-r)!
    Any others?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not completely clear but I think the problem means, e.g. “POSSESSES”, 5 letters being chosen: n=9, r=5, a=5 (5 Ss), b=2 (2 Es).

I was told the solution would require a sigma function (summation operator) so it won't be easy. So far, for combinations, I came up with something like Ʃ(i=0 to i=n-a-b; C(n-a-b,i)) but now I'm thinking that's only a small piece of the puzzle. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Suppose for some r, s you choose r of the a and s of the b. How many combinations of x letters then?

4. May 11, 2013 #3
    So I'm choosing r of the letter repeated a times, and s of the letter repeated b times. These are fixed, right? Then there will be [tex]x-r-s[/tex] spaces remaining to be filled and [tex]n-a-b[/tex] letters to fill them. By definition r≤a, s≤b, x≤n, so [tex]x-r-s≤n-a-b[/tex] and we can write generally that C(n-a-b,x-r-s) will be how many combinations of x letters there are. (Note that C(n,r) is the format I'm using here.) This should hold even if r=0 and/or s=0, and because r and s≤x it should still hold even if x=r or x=s.

Which we can quickly sum over every value of r and s so that Ʃ(r=0 to r=a; Ʃ(s=0 to s=b; C(n-a-b,x-r-s))) is our total number of combinations, the answer to part a). My teacher confirmed this is correct.

What do we do for the permutations? Still [tex]x-r-s[/tex] spaces remaining to be filled and [tex]n-a-b[/tex] letters to fill them. Now what?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. May 11, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Having chosen your x letters, there are x! permutations, but because r of them are the same, groups of these permutations look the same. How many in each such group? (Similarly for the s that are the same.)

6. May 11, 2013 #5
    Is it [tex]x!/(r!s!)[/tex]? I'm not sure what else you might mean by "groups of permutations" ...

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  7. May 11, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

yup.

8. May 12, 2013 #7
    Thanks, I've reached this solution now.

Ʃ(s=0 to 2)Ʃ(r=0 to 5) of (C(n-a-b,x-r-s)*(x!(r!s!))).

I'd like to try a couple of extension problems now. Let's say we go for permutations with repetition allowed, i.e. {a,a,a} is a valid arrangement of 3 from a set of {a,b,c,d,e}. Then where we previously had nPr we have [tex]nr[/tex], so is our sum now Ʃ(s=0 to 2)Ʃ(r=0 to 5) of (C(n-a-b,x-r-s)*(xx(r!s!))). Or how else can I reach it? I've got a set of x elements, of which r are repeats, and s are also repeats; how do I find the number of permutations, allowing repetitions?

Edit: Possibly we should be looking at C(n-a-b,x-r-s)*(x-r-s+2)x instead? (+2 to allow for the number of distinct elements there are, x because that's how many spaces we have to find perms for.) Not sure ...

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  9. May 13, 2013 #8
    No help? Is this one too complicated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted