Difficult Stats Problem (Repeated Elements)

In summary, the problem states that there is a word with n letters, where one letter is present a times and another letter is present b times, and all other letters are present only once. The first question asks for the number of combinations of x letters from this word, and the second question asks for the number of arrangements of x letters. The solution for combinations involves using a sigma function and the formula C(n-a-b,x-r-s), where r is the number of the letter repeated a times and s is the number of the letter repeated b times. For permutations, the answer is x!/(r!s!), taking into account the groups of identical permutations. An extension problem involves finding the number of permutations with repetition allowed, which can
Big-Daddy

Homework Statement

A word has n letters, in which one of those letters is present a times and another is present b times (all other letters are present only once).

a.) How many combinations of x letters are there from this word?
b.) How many arrangements of x letters are there from this word?

Homework Equations

nCr=n!/((n-r)!r!)
nPr=n!(n-r)!
Any others?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely clear but I think the problem means, e.g. “POSSESSES”, 5 letters being chosen: n=9, r=5, a=5 (5 Ss), b=2 (2 Es).

I was told the solution would require a sigma function (summation operator) so it won't be easy. So far, for combinations, I came up with something like Ʃ(i=0 to i=n-a-b; C(n-a-b,i)) but now I'm thinking that's only a small piece of the puzzle. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose for some r, s you choose r of the a and s of the b. How many combinations of x letters then?

haruspex said:
Suppose for some r, s you choose r of the a and s of the b. How many combinations of x letters then?

So I'm choosing r of the letter repeated a times, and s of the letter repeated b times. These are fixed, right? Then there will be [tex]x-r-s[/tex] spaces remaining to be filled and [tex]n-a-b[/tex] letters to fill them. By definition r≤a, s≤b, x≤n, so [tex]x-r-s≤n-a-b[/tex] and we can write generally that C(n-a-b,x-r-s) will be how many combinations of x letters there are. (Note that C(n,r) is the format I'm using here.) This should hold even if r=0 and/or s=0, and because r and s≤x it should still hold even if x=r or x=s.

Which we can quickly sum over every value of r and s so that Ʃ(r=0 to r=a; Ʃ(s=0 to s=b; C(n-a-b,x-r-s))) is our total number of combinations, the answer to part a). My teacher confirmed this is correct.

What do we do for the permutations? Still [tex]x-r-s[/tex] spaces remaining to be filled and [tex]n-a-b[/tex] letters to fill them. Now what?

Last edited:
Having chosen your x letters, there are x! permutations, but because r of them are the same, groups of these permutations look the same. How many in each such group? (Similarly for the s that are the same.)

haruspex said:
Having chosen your x letters, there are x! permutations, but because r of them are the same, groups of these permutations look the same. How many in each such group? (Similarly for the s that are the same.)

Is it [tex]x!/(r!s!)[/tex]? I'm not sure what else you might mean by "groups of permutations" ...

Last edited:
Big-Daddy said:
Is it [tex]x!/(r!s!)[/tex]?
yup.

haruspex said:
yup.

Thanks, I've reached this solution now.Ʃ(s=0 to 2)Ʃ(r=0 to 5) of (C(n-a-b,x-r-s)*(x!(r!s!))).

I'd like to try a couple of extension problems now. Let's say we go for permutations with repetition allowed, i.e. {a,a,a} is a valid arrangement of 3 from a set of {a,b,c,d,e}. Then where we previously had nPr we have [tex]nr[/tex], so is our sum now Ʃ(s=0 to 2)Ʃ(r=0 to 5) of (C(n-a-b,x-r-s)*(xx(r!s!))). Or how else can I reach it? I've got a set of x elements, of which r are repeats, and s are also repeats; how do I find the number of permutations, allowing repetitions?

Edit: Possibly we should be looking at C(n-a-b,x-r-s)*(x-r-s+2)x instead? (+2 to allow for the number of distinct elements there are, x because that's how many spaces we have to find perms for.) Not sure ...

Last edited:
No help? Is this one too complicated?

1. What is a "difficult stats problem with repeated elements?"

A difficult stats problem with repeated elements refers to a statistical problem where there are repeated values or elements in the data set. This can complicate the analysis and interpretation of the data, making it more challenging to draw meaningful conclusions.

2. How do you identify if a stats problem has repeated elements?

To identify if a stats problem has repeated elements, you can visually inspect the data set or use statistical tools such as histograms or frequency tables to look for duplicates or repeated values. Additionally, you can also use software programs specifically designed for identifying and handling repeated elements in data sets.

3. What are some common techniques for dealing with repeated elements in a stats problem?

Some common techniques for dealing with repeated elements in a stats problem include removing the duplicates, collapsing the repeated values into one category, or using statistical methods such as regression or ANOVA that can handle repeated measures. The best approach will depend on the specific data and research question being addressed.

4. How do repeated elements affect the accuracy of statistical analysis?

Repeated elements can affect the accuracy of statistical analysis by introducing bias or skewing the results. This is because the repeated values can artificially inflate or decrease certain measures such as means or correlations, leading to inaccurate conclusions. It is important to properly handle repeated elements in order to ensure the accuracy and validity of the statistical analysis.

5. Can you provide an example of a difficult stats problem with repeated elements?

One example of a difficult stats problem with repeated elements could be a study examining the relationship between caffeine intake and sleep quality. If some participants in the study consume the same amount of caffeine every day, this could result in repeated values for the caffeine intake variable. This could complicate the analysis and interpretation of the data and may require specialized statistical methods to handle the repeated measures.