Statistics problem - Continuous random varibles

In summary: You made me understand the concept better, and I am grateful for that. Thank you once again!In summary, the distribution of force acting on a column supporting a building can be modeled as a normally distributed random variable X with mean value 15.0 kips and standard deviation 1.25 kips. To compute probabilities for this distribution, we can standardize X into a standard normal variable Z and use a z-table to find the probabilities. For example, to find P(X ≤ 15), we can standardize X by subtracting the mean and dividing by the standard deviation, giving us P(Z ≤ 0). Using the z-table, we find that P(Z ≤ 0) = 0.5, so P
anarovira
Suppose the force acting on a column that helps to support a building is a normally distributed random variable X with mean value 15.0 kips and standard deviation 1.25 kips.
Compute the following probabilities by standardizing and then using Table A.3.

a) P(X ≤ 15)
b) P(X ≤ 17.5)
c) P(X ≥ 10)
d) P(14 ≤ X ≤ 18)
e) P(|X - 15| ≤ 3)

table: http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~twehrly/651/ztable.pdf

can someone please help? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
anarovira said:
Suppose the force acting on a column that helps to support a building is a normally distributed random variable X with mean value 15.0 kips and standard deviation 1.25 kips.
Compute the following probabilities by standardizing and then using Table A.3.

a) P(X ≤ 15)
b) P(X ≤ 17.5)
c) P(X ≥ 10)
d) P(14 ≤ X ≤ 18)
e) P(|X - 15| ≤ 3)

table: http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~twehrly/651/ztable.pdf

can someone please help? :)

Your z-table gives you the probability to the left of z-value of the distribution Z~N(0,1). In other words let Z~N(0,1), μ=mean=0 and σ=std=1. Now for a given z value the table returns P(Z<z*).

Now the question is how to work with X~N(μ,σ). To compute the probability P(X<x*)you transform the question into one about Z by Z= (X-μ)/σ. This is called standardizing your normal random variable. Under this transformation we find that: P(X<x*) = P(Z< (x*-μ)/σ) !

Example:

So given your distribution: X~N(15kips, 1.25 kips) compute P(X<15 kips).

Solution:

P(X<x*)= P(Z < (x*-μ)/σ) where in this example x*= 15 kips, μ=15 kips, and σ=1.25 kips

so P(X<15 kips ) = P(Z< (15kips - 15kips)/1.25 kips) = P(Z<0)

Note: (x*-μ)/σ is always dimensionless - this is a way to check you did your calculation correctly

Now we look up Z=0 in the the able and we see the value .5 thus P(Z<0)=.5 so that
P(X<15 kips) = .5

Second Example:

Compute P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips).

It follows that P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips) = P(X <15kips) - P(X <13.75 kips)

You should think about why this is true.

So P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips) = P(X <15kips) - P(X <13.75 kips)= P(Z< (15kips -15kips)/1.25 kips) - P(Z<(13.75 kips -15kips)/1.25 kips) = P(Z<0) - P(Z<-1)

Now P(Z<0)=.5 and P(Z<-1)= .1587 (from the table)

Thus P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips) = .5 -.1587 =.343------------------------------------------------------

These two examples should help guide you when solving your problems.

BTP said:
Your z-table gives you the probability to the left of z-value of the distribution Z~N(0,1). In other words let Z~N(0,1), μ=mean=0 and σ=std=1. Now for a given z value the table returns P(Z<z*).

Now the question is how to work with X~N(μ,σ). To compute the probability P(X<x*)you transform the question into one about Z by Z= (X-μ)/σ. This is called standardizing your normal random variable. Under this transformation we find that: P(X<x*) = P(Z< (x*-μ)/σ) !

Example:

So given your distribution: X~N(15kips, 1.25 kips) compute P(X<15 kips).

Solution:

P(X<x*)= P(Z < (x*-μ)/σ) where in this example x*= 15 kips, μ=15 kips, and σ=1.25 kips

so P(X<15 kips ) = P(Z< (15kips - 15kips)/1.25 kips) = P(Z<0)

Note: (x*-μ)/σ is always dimensionless - this is a way to check you did your calculation correctly

Now we look up Z=0 in the the able and we see the value .5 thus P(Z<0)=.5 so that
P(X<15 kips) = .5

Second Example:

Compute P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips).

It follows that P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips) = P(X <15kips) - P(X <13.75 kips)

You should think about why this is true.

So P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips) = P(X <15kips) - P(X <13.75 kips)= P(Z< (15kips -15kips)/1.25 kips) - P(Z<(13.75 kips -15kips)/1.25 kips) = P(Z<0) - P(Z<-1)

Now P(Z<0)=.5 and P(Z<-1)= .1587 (from the table)

Thus P( 13.75 Kips < X < 15 kips) = .5 -.1587 =.343

------------------------------------------------------

These two examples should help guide you when solving your problems.

You did this fellow's homework for him, which is against the Forum rules.

Not quite. I explained how the ideas works and did two examples, albeit the first example was problem a), (I did not want to do any complicated examples). My reply is the basic explanation that one would find in any basic statistics text on standardizing a normal random variable. As for the homework problems you are referring to they are about implementing the ideas. There is a difference. If he went for help a teacher would do exactly the same. And which is why I did not do any of the problems listed. In point of fact I left the really crucial point a question for them to figure out - and without which they will not get the rest of the problems - if you are a helper you should know the difference.

Last edited:
BTP said:
Not quite. I explained how the ideas works and did two examples, albeit the first example was problem a), (I did not want to do any complicated examples). My reply is the basic explanation that one would find in any basic statistics text on standardizing a normal random variable. As for the homework problems you are referring to they are about implementing the ideas. There is a difference. If he went for help a teacher would do exactly the same. And which is why I did not do any of the problems listed. In point of fact I left the really crucial point a question for them to figure out - and without which they will not get the rest of the problems - if you are a helper you should know the difference.

Your answer was so helpful, thank you so much! And you indeed didn't do my homework.

1. What are continuous random variables?

Continuous random variables are numerical variables that can take on an infinite number of values within a given range. They are typically measurements or observations that can take on any value within a range, as opposed to discrete random variables which can only take on specific values.

2. How are continuous random variables different from discrete random variables?

Continuous random variables differ from discrete random variables in that they can take on an infinite number of values within a given range, while discrete random variables can only take on specific values. Additionally, continuous random variables are typically measured on a continuous scale, while discrete random variables are typically measured on a discrete scale.

3. What is the probability density function (PDF) of a continuous random variable?

The probability density function (PDF) of a continuous random variable is a function that describes the relative likelihood of each possible value of the variable. It is represented graphically as a curve, and the area under the curve between any two points represents the probability that the variable will fall within that range.

4. How do you calculate the mean and variance of a continuous random variable?

The mean of a continuous random variable can be calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its corresponding probability and then summing all of these products together. The variance can be calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each possible value of the variable and the mean, multiplied by their corresponding probabilities.

5. What is the Central Limit Theorem and how does it relate to continuous random variables?

The Central Limit Theorem states that the sample mean of a large enough sample size from any population will be approximately normally distributed, regardless of the shape of the population's distribution. This theorem is important in statistics because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample, assuming that the sample is large enough. It applies to continuous random variables because they can be used to model many real-world phenomena and their distributions often follow a normal or bell-shaped curve.