1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equality of distribution for random varibles

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    If 2 random variables X, and Y have the same distribution, does that mean that for another random variables Z, X + Z and Y + Z also have the same distribution?

From looking at the convolution formula, the answer should be yes, because the convolution of random variables depends only on the distribution of the 2 variables being added.

However, if we consider the Poisson process N(t), then the stationary increment property says that N(5) - N(4) has the same distribution as N(1).

Now consider the random variable (N(4) - N(5)) - N(1). If the above claim is true then this has the same distribution as N(1) - N(1), which has variance 0, i.e. Var((N(4) - N(5)) - N(1)) = 0. This would seem to imply that the count of random Poisson events between time 4 and 5 must always be exactly the same as between time 0 and 1 and there is actually no randomness at all, which can't possibly be true.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But that isn't of the form N(r) - N(s).

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3
    But it equals N(1) - N(1) which is in the form N(r) - N(s).

What if we wrote it like this:

1. Clearly Var(N(1) - N(1)) = 0.
    2. Now N(5) - N(4) has the same distribution as N(1) by the stationary increments property.
    3. Thus (N(5) - N(4)) - N(1) has the same distribution as N(1) - N(1) (by the claim that if X has the same distribution as Y, then X - Z has the same distribution as Y - Z)
    4. So, in particular, they have the same variance, i.e. Var((N(5) - N(4)) - N(1)) = Var(N(1) - N(1)) = 0.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Jun 21, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It has been a long time since I looked at this stuff, but I think your problem is that

N(5)-N(4) is itself not a member of your Poisson process N(t) and you can't claim the stationary increment property to (N(5)-N(4)) - N(1).

6. Jun 21, 2010 #5
    Hmm, I don't think I did that. The only time I used stationarity was at 2) where I said N(5) - N(4) has the same distribution as N(1). Which is OK. I didn't use stationarity to get (N(5) - N(4)) - N(1) having the same distribution as N(1) - N(1).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook