1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics- unbiased estimator #3

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that n=5 observations are taken from the uniform pdf, fY=1/[tex]\Theta[/tex] 0<y<[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is unknown. Two unbiased estimators for [tex]\Theta[/tex] are

[tex]\Theta[/tex]1= (6/5)*Ymax
    [tex]\Theta[/tex]2= (6)*Ymin

which estimator would be better to use? hint: What must be true of Var(Ymax) and Var(Ymin) given that fy is symmetric ? Does your answer as to which estimator is better make sense on intuitive grounds ? Explain.

2. Relevant equations

Var(Y)=E[Y2] - E[Y]2

Ymin=n*(1-FY(y))n-1fY(y)

Ymax=n*(FY(y))n-1fY(y)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to calculate the variances of both the estimators and see which one is smaller.
    But, there is the extra information like, n=5 and that the distribution is symmetric, and I'm sure I need to use it.
    Plus, I don't know how to answer it on intuitive grounds.
    Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

EDIT:

Now, I am still trying to solve it, and if I know that the distribution is symmetric, the variance of Ymin and Ymax are the same.
    However, since the first estimator is divided by 5, we know that it's 1/25 of the variance of the second estimator.
    Can I say this ? Is this the"on intuitive grounds" answer that they are asking ?
    What about the sample size n=5 ? what do I do with it ?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2
    anybody ?

can't figure it out :\

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?