1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stats question, how to get expected values

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have taken a random sample such that X~N(8,2).

I want to use the samples that I have generated to estimate E(xbar), E(s2), E(α21) and E(α22) for the population.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I am not entirely sure how to do these.

I know that for a random variable, E(x)= (x1 + x2 ... +xn)/n, but I am not sure if this is the same for a sample/xbar.

I have googled and can't find the formulas, does anyone know them here?

I know for s^2 that E(s^2) = E[{sum(i to n) (xi-xbar)^2}/(n-1)]

so now I can bring the 1/(n-1) out front of the E, but I'm not sure how the summation acts.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
    You are confusing some concepts. You want to estimate say, the mean of the random variable X μ=E{X}, you use the estimator [itex]\bar{x}=\frac{1}{N}\sum_nx_n[/itex] where x_n are the samples of X. You can prove [itex]E[\bar{x}]=\mu[/itex] so that the estimator which is a function of the samples has an expected value that is equal to the mean μ of X, so that this estimator is unbiased. Now try to find unbiased estimators of other parameters of the random variable X that you want to estimate, as a function of the samples, i.e., the expected values are equal to the parameters you want to estimate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook