Steel cable deformation on 3.51 m diameter reel

  • Thread starter Thread starter ihaland
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cable Deformation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ihaland
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I want to see what effects placing a steel cable on a reel of size of OD 3,51 m will have on the properties of the material?

How will I go about doing this?

A appreciate any help I can get :-)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the cross-sectional area (csa) of the cable? Is it solid or stranded? If stranded, how many strands? What properties are you interested in? Of course you will think of the usual engineering properties that books and manufacturers like to tell you, but there are also property changes like degradation arising from the conditions in which the cable reel is kept...quite apart from the curvature which is probably what is bothering you.