Stellar orbits around the milky way.

In summary, the process of determining orbits involves measuring the radial and tangential velocities of stars relative to the sun. While the tangential velocity may seem difficult to measure, it can be obtained by observing the position changes of nearby and distant stars. However, when it comes to measuring the rotation of distant galaxies, spectroscopy can only measure the velocity towards or away from us.
Wantstolearn
I was just thinking about how this is done. I have looked online and I can't find a none mathematical explanation.

If I am getting it right, we get the orbits by measuring the radial and tangential velocities of several stars relative to our sun.

I thought the tangential velocity was unobtainable. Wouldn't you have to wait a century or two to be able to measure the tangential velocity.

I am sure the answer is easy. I am just not getting it off of the explanation I was given.

Can anyone explain this better to me.. or correct if I am misinformed.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you mean the orbit of the sun around our galaxy or the rotation of other galaxies?
You can measure the movement of the sun by the position change of nearby and distant stars but the rotation of distant galaxies is from spectroscopy and so only measures velocity toward or away from us.

1. What are stellar orbits?

Stellar orbits refer to the path that a star takes as it moves through space. This path is determined by the gravitational pull of other celestial objects, such as planets, galaxies, and black holes.

2. How do scientists study stellar orbits around the Milky Way?

Scientists study stellar orbits by observing the movement of stars using telescopes and other instruments. They can also use computer simulations and mathematical models to predict the paths of stars based on their known gravitational interactions.

3. What is the significance of studying stellar orbits around the Milky Way?

Studying stellar orbits around the Milky Way can provide valuable information about the structure and evolution of our galaxy. It can also help us understand the distribution and behavior of dark matter, as well as the formation and dynamics of star clusters and other celestial objects.

4. Do all stars in the Milky Way have the same orbit?

No, not all stars in the Milky Way have the same orbit. Since stars can have different masses and distances from the galactic center, their orbits can vary greatly. Some stars may have circular orbits, while others may have elliptical or even chaotic orbits.

5. Can stellar orbits change over time?

Yes, stellar orbits can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other celestial objects or external forces such as galactic collisions. These changes can be observed over long periods of time and can provide insight into the evolution of our galaxy.