1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Step response of a first order system

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the unit step response of the transfer function...

a) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{4}{s\,+\,4}[/tex]

b) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{2}{0.2s\,+\,1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

General first order step response equation...

[tex]C(s)\,=\,R(s)\,G(s)\,=\,\frac{a}{s(s\,+\,a)}[/tex], where [tex]R(s)\,=\,\frac{1}{s}[/tex]

then do an inverse Laplace transform...

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a) is simple enough. I just plugged into formula above and got [tex]c(t)\,=\,1\,-\,e^{-4t}[/tex]

However, part b) is where I am confused. To get the G(s) into the form needed (i.e. ~ [itex]\frac{a}{s\,+\,a}[/itex]), I divided both the numerator and denominator by 0.2...

But now the form is not exactly as needed in the first order system equations. What do I do?

I tried taking out a 2 from the numerator, and got an answer, just not sure if it's right though.

Is this right for part b)...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    That's right, remember that the Laplace transform is a linear operation. If f(t) has a Laplace transform of F(s), then a*f(t) has a Laplace transform of a*F(s). Assuming "a" is a scalar quantity. The same linearity is true for inverse Laplace transforms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook