News Stephen Hawking has Died - March 14th, 2018

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Featured
76 years old is much better than 25 years old.
RIP Stephen. He may be dead now, but his legacy and impact on science will live on for as long as there are humans in the Universe!

Great Stephen Hawking! As scientist and as person. RIP.

--
lightarrow

In addition to his other attributes Stephen Hawking had a great sense of humour.

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Here's Stephen Hawking's stint on the Simpsons*.

*It was referenced in the video in the previous post by @Dadface.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
The greatest mind of our era
I have a hard time with that. Hawking was an excellent scientist, a great popularizer and a sterling role model. He certainly deserves his fame. But "greatest mind of our era"? That's a bit over the top.

Last edited:

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sixty Symbols released this new video today ("today" being Mar 14, 2018).

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I have a hard time with that. Hawking was an excellent scientist, a great popularizer and a sterline role model. He certainly deserves his fame. But "greatest mind of our era"? That's a bit over the top.
In addition, it depends on how you define "era".

Although my role model for physics is Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking is my role model as a person, if that makes sense. Stephen Hawking defied all odds and fought ALS and far surpassed his life expectancy. The fact that he died on Albert Einstein's birthday is truly extraordinary and is an amazing coincidence, especially since both of them are my 2 role models.

gleem

Science Advisor
Stephen Hawking a great scientist to be sure but also a remarkable human being. From his human side when asked by Dianne Sawyer in an interview about what advice he gave to his children he said:

"Here are the most important pieces of advice that I've passed on to my children," Hawking said. "One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is rare and don't throw it away."

martinbn

Science Advisor
I have a hard time with that. Hawking was an excellent scientist, a great popularizer and a sterling role model. He certainly deserves his fame. But "greatest mind of our era"? That's a bit over the top.
I don't have a problems with that. The set is not linearly ordered, so there are more than one greatest element. So "greatest mind of our era" seems fine, but "the greatest mind of our era" is probably inaccurate.

The greatest mind of our era.
In addition, it depends on how you define "era".
I don't have a problems with that. The set is not linearly ordered, so there are more than one greatest element. So "greatest mind of our era" seems fine, but "the greatest mind of our era" is probably inaccurate.
Thus perhaps "One of the greatest minds of the recently modern scientific era" is perhaps more accurate and perhaps kind of necessarily true! ...

A few years back I had similar feelings when (me back then being a Physics undergaduate student) I was informed of prof. R. P. Feynman's death (another great mind of that/this era ...). At first I couldn't believe it (and, to be honest, I still haven't for both! Inside of me they are still alive ...). They both gave their brave fights to live and undoubtedly taught me 3 things (strongly imprinted in my memory):
1. Life is worth living and worth fighting for in any case (or at least in most cases).
2. Science is [a goal] worth pursuing ...
3. Never trust doctors ... (jk :smile:)

Although my role model for physics is Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking is my role model as a person, if that makes sense. Stephen Hawking defied all odds and fought ALS and far surpassed his life expectancy. The fact that he died on Albert Einstein's birthday is truly extraordinary and is an amazing coincidence, especially since both of them are my 2 role models.
Note also:
Born on Galileo’s death
(Jan 8)

[Amazing Physicists' coincidences, considering also the scientific relation/subjects between these 3 names (Galileo, Einstein, Hawking [in time order ...]) - reflecting also the evolution of ideas in physics ... (and a still/ever expanding/evolving subject [i.e. 'Mechanics-Relativity-Cosmology'])]

Last edited:

pinball1970

Gold Member
I dont get what he did, I only have to read to the number of comments from scientists/students on here that use the phrase " he inspired..."

pinball1970

Gold Member

haushofer

Science Advisor
Insights Author
I used that lego-picture a couple of weeks ago during a talk for highschool students. It was a hit! :D

Of course, someone's passing away is sad. But given the extra 55 years of time he got and my impression that he had a most interesting and satisfying life, feelings of gratitude and joy predominate. Long live Hawking, in all his papers, thoughts, popular literature and popular culture! :D

P

praveenplanemo

RIP Prof S.W Hawking :cry::cry:

RIP. He will always be one of my biggest heroes.

It is sad that he never went to outer space. There were plans to send him to space.

didn't know he was that old.

RIP

I enjoyed his book, A Brief History of Time. I also enjoyed the movie The Theory of Everything. Considering his disease, I will remember him as someone who showed that when there is a will, there is a way. But none of us lives forever. May he rest in peace.

pinball1970

Gold Member
I enjoyed his book, A Brief History of Time. I also enjoyed the movie The Theory of Everything. Considering his disease, I will remember him as someone who showed that when there is a will, there is a way. But none of us lives forever. May he rest in peace.
I thought the Cumberbatch film was better, more physics than the other stuff (life). Roger Penrose features a litle more as does Fred Hoyle, Hawking challenges him on his steady state theory in a lecture because he worked through his paper before hand- they show his calculations/equations but they are way beyond me, this is where not really understanding what he did is annoying as one cannot get the full benefit of those parts.

Was he ever nominated for the Nobel? Anything he did worthy of a nomination? On black holes?

I thought the Cumberbatch film was better, more physics than the other stuff (life).
Thanks, I did not know about that movie (Hawking), I am going to see it :smile:. And I am a big fan of Cumberbatch. (sidenote: another great physics movie is Particle Fever, IMO)

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Was he ever nominated for the Nobel?
Probably, but Nobel nominations are not public so you cannot know for sure.

Also, if he was nominated it would likely not have been considered. The Nobel committee typically wants to have firm evidence before awarding a theory prize and when it comes to things such as Hawking radiation it remains a widely accepted conjecture that so far has no experimental verification. There is a reason Higgs and Englert won the Nobel prize some four decades after their actual work.