Insights Author
Gold Member
Last edited:

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
:cry:

It’s probably a coincidence that March 14 is Einstein’s birthday.
I think both of them would agree with that.

cnh1995

Homework Helper
Gold Member
RIP Prof Hawking!:cry:

RIP PROFESSOR HAWKING ! We all gonna miss you! :(

K

KK029

RIP [emoji22][emoji22]

lekh2003

Gold Member
:cry: RIP Stephen Hawking. A true genius and inspiration :bow:.

robphy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Last edited:

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan were the two people who got me to pursue physics as a career. RIP Professor Hawking.
I believe the same is true for many many (relatively young) people who are currently in scientific careers. My academic path really started when my grandmother gave me one of Hawking's books (not A brief history of time, but I cannot for the life of me remember which it was now) for Christmas. After reading it I was completely hooked. I must have been 14 or so.

This one hit me pretty deep. RIP.

lekh2003

Gold Member

This one hit me pretty deep. RIP.
Me too. Just recently a very influential bollywood actress also passed away, and my family was depressed. I feel just as depressed right now.

To the head honchos (@Greg Bernhardt ): Can we do something to memorialize his death? Like something on the PF logo, just for a week or so.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I think we should also remember how amazing it was that we got to keep him for so long given his illness manifesting itself so early. He was diagnosed in the early 60s, meaning that he lived with ALS for the larger part of his life.

Edit: I also came to think that even if his direct contributions to science are important and numerous. His biggest contribution is probably that of a science educator and inspirer. Imagine how much science is currently being done by people who, like me, were inspired to enter academia after reading his books. I am surely not the only one.

lekh2003

Gold Member
I think we should also remember how amazing it was that we got to keep him for so long given his illness manifesting itself so early. He was diagnosed in the early 60s, meaning that he lived with ALS for the larger part of his life.
It truly is amazing. During the time he was diagnosed, he was given two to three years to live. It is a miracle that he was able to fight through until now for so many years. The world of physics might have been wholly different if he had not worked on the theory of everything as much as he did.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
A great mind passes away. He shall always leave among us in his theories and books. Not only that, he showed the world what resilience and mental strength can do.

Sadly, no one is immortal, and something that has a beginning, must also have an ending. May his soul rest in peace.

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you for everything, Mr. Hawking. Yours was a life well spent.

ISamson

Gold Member
RIP.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up." -- at an Oxford University Union speech in 2016.
Thanks for sharing your insights. RIP Sir.

Rest In Peace. We were lucky live at the same time with him.

Farewell Prof Hawking. A truly remarkable scientist.