Stephen Hawking has Died - March 14th, 2018

In summary, Professor Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, leaving behind a legacy as one of the greatest physicists of all time.
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan were the two people who got me to pursue physics as a career. RIP Professor Hawking.

Likes Willow Wanda, AlvisPrabhu, Demystifier and 1 other person
:cry:

Likes OmCheeto
robphy said:
It’s probably a coincidence that March 14 is Einstein’s birthday.
I think both of them would agree with that.

RIP Prof Hawking!:cry:

Likes Charles Link
Amrator said:
Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan were the two people who got me to pursue physics as a career. RIP Professor Hawking.

Likes jedishrfu, wormbread and rootone
RIP PROFESSOR HAWKING ! We all going to miss you! :(

RIP [emoji22][emoji22]

:cry: RIP Stephen Hawking. A true genius and inspiration :bow:.

Likes wormbread
Last edited:
Likes wormbread
Amrator said:
I believe the same is true for many many (relatively young) people who are currently in scientific careers. My academic path really started when my grandmother gave me one of Hawking's books (not A brief history of time, but I cannot for the life of me remember which it was now) for Christmas. After reading it I was completely hooked. I must have been 14 or so.

Likes berkeman, cnh1995, Spinnor and 4 others

This one hit me pretty deep. RIP.

eloheim said:

This one hit me pretty deep. RIP.
Me too. Just recently a very influential bollywood actress also passed away, and my family was depressed. I feel just as depressed right now.

To the head honchos (@Greg Bernhardt ): Can we do something to memorialize his death? Like something on the PF logo, just for a week or so.

Likes Sorcerer
I think we should also remember how amazing it was that we got to keep him for so long given his illness manifesting itself so early. He was diagnosed in the early 60s, meaning that he lived with ALS for the larger part of his life.

Edit: I also came to think that even if his direct contributions to science are important and numerous. His biggest contribution is probably that of a science educator and inspirer. Imagine how much science is currently being done by people who, like me, were inspired to enter academia after reading his books. I am surely not the only one.

Likes Willow Wanda, QuantumQuest and PeroK
Orodruin said:
I think we should also remember how amazing it was that we got to keep him for so long given his illness manifesting itself so early. He was diagnosed in the early 60s, meaning that he lived with ALS for the larger part of his life.
It truly is amazing. During the time he was diagnosed, he was given two to three years to live. It is a miracle that he was able to fight through until now for so many years. The world of physics might have been wholly different if he had not worked on the theory of everything as much as he did.

A great mind passes away. He shall always leave among us in his theories and books. Not only that, he showed the world what resilience and mental strength can do.

Sadly, no one is immortal, and something that has a beginning, must also have an ending. May his soul rest in peace.

Thank you for everything, Mr. Hawking. Yours was a life well spent.

RIP.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up." -- at an Oxford University Union speech in 2016.
Thanks for sharing your insights. RIP Sir.

Likes OmCheeto
Perhaps now he knows more ...

Likes cnh1995, dagmar and Mohammed Alhayek
Rest In Peace. We were lucky live at the same time with him.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Born on Galileo’s death and died on Einstein’s birth. Probably a coincidence... either way, I, like so many others, count him as a childhood hero. Man, you know this sort of thing is coming, being a lot younger, but you still aren’t prepared. He was a pillar in my life. What a wonderful man and a shinning example of how life should be lived.

Likes Spinnor and Stavros Kiri
A remarkable scientist. RIP Prof. Hawking.

Love this photo of him smiling. Another great mind is lost. RIP.

stephen-hawking-640x426.png

Don't forget about our Insights quiz
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/think-know-stephen-hawkings/

Attachments

• stephen-hawking-640x426.png
    stephen-hawking-640x426.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 699
Likes QuantumQuest, Stavros Kiri, cnh1995 and 1 other person
He was certainly one of my greatest inspirations. RIP Professor Hawking.

While it is a wonder as well as to our species distinct advantage that Professor Hawking managed to live and be so profoundly productive for so long, and though his death always seemed more imminent than most for that reason, I am stricken by this sad news. I will be sad this entire day and some forward but tonight I will raise a glass at dinner and speak of his life and contributions. I can't help but wonder, especially after being reminded by some of the videos of conferences in this thread, now that both Carl and Stephen are gone, who will take their place? Are we still raising any Einsteins these days?

Incidentally thank you for the ancient recording of Carl, Stephen and Arthur. It is an amazing reminder how far we have recently come just marked by guessing the Universe's age as between 10 and 15 billion years, Hubble not having been launched yet, and that crusty old PC . Was it running GEM?

Likes Spinnor
The world of theoretical physics has been hit hard this past month. With the death of Joseph Polchinski and Stephen Hawkings, we all lose a little something the likes of which will never be seen again.

In Stephen's case, it's all the more unique, given his inability to work with pen and paper yet to remain a top physicist for so many years.

I met him for the first time in the late 90s at a cosmology conference, and the thing that most people don't quite realize is just how crippled he really was. Between the nurses and the entourage he had around him, I'm not sure he ever was completely alone. His position on the chair would need to be carefully supervised, so that he wouldn't get skin burns, and there were all sorts of painful little mundane facts of his disease day in and day out that were readily apparent to any casual onlooker. After his talk was over (he had just announced the no boundary proposal) and the Q/A session would start, he would sit there on his chair struggling to explain the depths of his mind, and was only able to output maybe a sentence or two every 5-10 minutes. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been.

It also illustrates just how much work and time must have gone into even the simplest tasks. Preparing a talk or a speech must have been a month long process. Writing a paper or explaining a concept to a colleague must have required a titanic amount of focus and perserverance.

He was an impressive man. Not just for the great mind, but for the great will it must have taken to accomplish even a tenth of what he was able to do. That's what I will remember about him.

Likes Dadface, whatdoido, Spinnor and 4 others
I am grateful for his amazing contributions and advancements in the fields.

Goodbye Stephen.

I had the pleasure of reading A Brief History of Time while crossing the Atlantic on the QE2. I can't claim to have understood it all but was pleased I got as far as I did. He had a great ability to make complex theories understandable by mere laymen like me.

I never got to meet him but we did bump into each other quite literally in a music shop in Cambridge once.

RIP.

Likes Spinnor
He was a huge inspiration for me. Even when I was younger, his constant presence in everything from The Simpsons to Pink Floyd albums I think greatly increased the number of children interested in physics who are the next generation of scientists today.

Anyways, he's his cameo from the last Pink Floyd album

Likes dlgoff and Borg
<h2>1. Who was Stephen Hawking?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking was a renowned theoretical physicist and cosmologist known for his groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe. He was also a bestselling author and a popular public figure.</p><h2>2. How did Stephen Hawking die?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking passed away on March 14th, 2018 at the age of 76. The cause of his death was due to complications from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a degenerative motor neuron disease that he was diagnosed with at the age of 21.</p><h2>3. What were Stephen Hawking's major contributions to science?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking's contributions to science were numerous and groundbreaking. He is best known for his work on black holes, including the discovery of Hawking radiation which suggests that black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate. He also made significant contributions to our understanding of the Big Bang theory and the origins of the universe.</p><h2>4. What impact did Stephen Hawking have on the scientific community?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking had a profound impact on the scientific community, not only through his groundbreaking research and discoveries, but also through his ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to the general public. He inspired countless scientists and students, and his work continues to influence and shape our understanding of the universe.</p><h2>5. What is Stephen Hawking's legacy?</h2><p>Stephen Hawking's legacy is one of scientific brilliance, perseverance, and inspiration. He will be remembered for his groundbreaking contributions to physics and cosmology, as well as his ability to inspire and educate people around the world. He will continue to be an iconic figure in the scientific community and beyond for generations to come.</p>

1. Who was Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking was a renowned theoretical physicist and cosmologist known for his groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe. He was also a bestselling author and a popular public figure.

2. How did Stephen Hawking die?

Stephen Hawking passed away on March 14th, 2018 at the age of 76. The cause of his death was due to complications from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a degenerative motor neuron disease that he was diagnosed with at the age of 21.

3. What were Stephen Hawking's major contributions to science?

Stephen Hawking's contributions to science were numerous and groundbreaking. He is best known for his work on black holes, including the discovery of Hawking radiation which suggests that black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate. He also made significant contributions to our understanding of the Big Bang theory and the origins of the universe.

4. What impact did Stephen Hawking have on the scientific community?

Stephen Hawking had a profound impact on the scientific community, not only through his groundbreaking research and discoveries, but also through his ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to the general public. He inspired countless scientists and students, and his work continues to influence and shape our understanding of the universe.

5. What is Stephen Hawking's legacy?

Stephen Hawking's legacy is one of scientific brilliance, perseverance, and inspiration. He will be remembered for his groundbreaking contributions to physics and cosmology, as well as his ability to inspire and educate people around the world. He will continue to be an iconic figure in the scientific community and beyond for generations to come.