Stern-Gerlach Experimental Calculation

In summary: The z-component of the force is Fz=-\frac{1}{2m_z}\, where m_z is the spin of the dipole.The force on a dipole is always directed away from the dipole's axis of rotation.
SharkyDx
I've run into a problem which has been bugging me for days. I know its related to the Stern-Gerlach experiment about firing hydrogen through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, but all i can do is give a vague qualitative description of the answers, and not an actual numerical one (because I don't entirely know what equations should be useful).

I know there's stuff about magnetic moments and spin and dipole moments happening here, but I can't seem to reconcile all these ideas. I'm not looking for a raw solution (I still want to learn something), just pointers as to the physics that's happening here, and possibly what equations are useful. Thanks.

Consider a well-collimated beam of hydrogen atoms in their ground state (ie with zero orbital angular momentum and spin = 1/2) in which the atoms are in thermal equilibrium at a temperature of 600K. The beam enters a region of length 9cm, in which there is a strong magnetic field with a gradient of 2x10³T/m perpendicular to the axis of the beam. After leaving this region the beam travels 1.2m to a screen.
  1. What distribution of hydrogen atoms would one observe at the detector?
  2. How is this different from classical expectations?
  3. How is this different from non-relativistic quantum predictions?
  4. Where will the beam appear on the screen?
  5. How does this provide evidence for a "spin g-factor" of 2?

I know (basically) that because of the inhomogeneous magnetic field, the atoms experience a force in the z-direction (vertically). Classically, there's stuff about all possible ranges of spin/momentum (or something) which would give a continuous band on the screen. Quantum mechanically, there's stuff about quantized spins that will only allow discrete outcomes, and i think the relativistic bit refers to the spin quantum number, m_s, but it might not. I can kinda handle the first three parts (if I'm even on the right track), but the fourth part - actually finding where the beam will appear - is a bit mysterious at the moment.

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
check out the very first chapter of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics"--it's about the S.G. experiment.

For 4, use the equation for the force on a dipole [tex]F=(\mu\cdot\nabla)B[/tex],
wilth spin up and spin down.

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrated the existence of electron spin and its quantized nature. It involves passing a beam of particles through a gradient magnetic field, which causes the particles to be deflected in different directions depending on their spin orientation.

2. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment work?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, a beam of particles, typically silver atoms, is sent through a magnetic field gradient. The particles have an intrinsic spin, which is either aligned in the same direction as the gradient (spin up) or opposite direction (spin down). As the particles pass through the field, they experience a torque that causes them to deflect either up or down, depending on their spin orientation.

3. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment provided experimental evidence for the quantization of spin and confirmed the existence of electron spin. It also helped to establish the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. How is the Stern-Gerlach experiment calculated?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment can be calculated using mathematical equations that describe the interaction between the particles' spin and the magnetic field. These calculations take into account the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the particles' spin, and the distance traveled by the particles before detection.

5. What are some applications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment has been used in various applications, including testing the validity of quantum mechanics, studying the properties of spin in particles, and developing technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It has also been used in experiments to investigate the effects of gravity on quantum systems.