Sticky ball falling down conveyer

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of mechanics problems and the potential error in the solution for Problem 57. The participants discuss the assumptions made in the solution and clarify the statement about perfect interactions and the movement of the conveyor belt. It is determined that the solution provided in the attached diagram may be incorrect due to not accounting for the difference in velocity between the mass and the conveyor belt. The final solution for the maximum velocity of the mass reaching the bottom is provided.
EFuzzy
While searching for a collection of interesting mechanics problems, I stumbled across this set of problems. http://www.mechanics-book.net/mechanics_problems.pdf Problem 57 and the given solution are attached. However, I think there is an error in the solution. They assume that velocity of the conveyor is v*cos(a/2), but I think that v*cos(a/2) gives the x-component of the velocity of the sticky ball, which is greater than the velocity of the conveyor. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Attachments

• prob57.PNG
    prob57.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 424
  • sol57.PNG
    sol57.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 373
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you--the solution seems a bit off. I'd say that the velocity of the body with respect to the ground will equal its velocity with respect to the trianguar frame (at angle alpha) plus the velocity of the frame with respect to the ground. And the speed of the frame with respect to the ground must equal the speed of the body with respect to the frame (since it's just the speed of the conveyer belt with respect to the frame).

OK, thanks a lot!

I'm kind of disappointed actually, because the book seemed to contain some interesting problems, but it's not really worth it if some of the solutions are wrong.

Doc Al,

Could you explain this sentence given in the problem.

All interactions are so perfect that they don’t let any part of the system slide.

The ball can roll down, but not slide or what? Also, is the conveyor belt fixed, or can it rotate around the three masses, due to reaction of the ball M?

I have got a pertinent question, but this statement is somewhat confusing, and has to be cleared first.

I assumed that it was just a badly phrased statement. I took it to mean that there's no slipping between surfaces (between the falling mass and the belt and between the belt and the surface it moves across). The dot is not even a ball, it's some "point body" that sticks to the conveyer belt and pulls it along as it moves down the incline. The conveyor belt is not fixed, it is free to slide over the cylindrical masses. (No energy loss due to friction, of course!)

Oh, it's glued to the belt. That changes everything.

I do agree that the solution provided in the 2nd attched diagram could have made a mistake. The horizonal component of the velocity of mass M is not the same as the velocity of the conveyor frame. The distance that M travels over the same period of time is longer than the conveyor frame.

The magnitude of the velocity and acceleration of M with respect to the conveyor frame along the slope is simply the same as the velocity and acceleration of the conveyor frame with respect to the ground, given that there is no slipping across all surfaces and no frictions about the 3 cylindrical masses of m.

The max velocity of M reaching the bottom at angle [itex]\alpha[/itex]/2 is
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2Mgh}{cos(\alpha/2)[2M+3mcos(\alpha/2)]}}[/itex]

1. How does gravity affect the sticky ball as it falls down the conveyer?

Gravity is the force that pulls the sticky ball towards the center of the Earth. As the ball falls down the conveyer, it will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared, until it reaches its terminal velocity.

2. Can the sticky ball be slowed down or stopped on the conveyer?

Yes, the conveyer belt can be adjusted to slow down or stop the movement of the sticky ball. Additionally, the speed of the conveyer can be varied to control the descent of the ball.

3. Will the sticky ball stick to the conveyer as it falls?

It depends on the material of the conveyer and the stickiness of the ball. If the conveyer is made of a smooth material, the ball may not stick to it. However, if the conveyer has a rough surface or if the ball is very sticky, it may adhere to the conveyer as it falls.

4. How does the shape and size of the sticky ball impact its movement down the conveyer?

The shape and size of the sticky ball can affect its aerodynamics and therefore, its speed and descent down the conveyer. A larger or more streamlined ball may fall faster than a smaller or less streamlined one.

5. What other factors besides gravity and the conveyer affect the movement of the sticky ball?

The density of the sticky ball, air resistance, and any external forces (such as wind or friction) can also impact the movement of the ball down the conveyer. Additionally, the angle of the conveyer and the surface it is placed on can affect the ball's descent.