Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum in proving div(curlA)=0

In summary, the problem asks for a proof of an identity using either "straight-forward" calculation with the definition of nabla or Gauss's and Stoke's Theorem. The student is struggling to begin and suggests using the definition of nabla and the definitions of cross product and dot product. They also clarify that the equality specifies that the div(curlA) must equal 0 and have continuous second-order derivatives.
SquidgyGuff

Homework Statement

The problem puts forth and identity for me to prove:
gif.gif
or
gif.gif
. It says that I can use "straight-forward" calculation to solve this using the definition of nabla or I can use Gauss's and Stoke's Theorum on an example in which I have a solid 3D shape nearly cut in two by a curve C.

Homework Equations

gif.gif
Divergence Theorum
gif.gif
Stoke's Theorum

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't seem to figure out how to start this. The two equations above are clearly suited to proving this identity, but I just can't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is easier to use the definition of Nabla, and the definitions of cross product and dot product.

ehild said:
I think it is easier to use the definition of Nabla, and the definitions of cross product and dot product.
Oh and I misstated the equality above, it specifies that the div(curlA)=0 then it has continuous second-order derivatives.

1. What is Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum?

Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum are two important mathematical theorems that are used to prove the relationship between the divergence and curl of a vector field. They are fundamental concepts in vector calculus and are essential in many areas of science and engineering.

2. How do Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum relate to the concept of div(curlA)=0?

Stoke's Theorum states that the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve is equal to the surface integral of the curl of that vector field over the closed surface bounded by the curve. Similarly, Gauss's Theorum states that the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the volume bounded by the surface. These theorems can be used to prove the relationship between the divergence and curl of a vector field, which is represented by the equation div(curlA)=0.

3. What is the significance of proving div(curlA)=0?

Proving div(curlA)=0 is important because it shows that the vector field A is a solenoidal vector field, meaning that it is divergence-free and curl-free. This has many practical applications, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and in solving partial differential equations.

4. How is Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum used in real-world situations?

Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum are used extensively in various branches of physics and engineering to solve problems involving vector fields. For example, they are used in the study of fluid flow, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. They also have applications in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum?

While Stoke's and Gauss's Theorum are powerful tools in vector calculus, there are certain limitations and exceptions to their use. For example, they only apply to smooth vector fields and closed surfaces or curves. They also do not hold in certain non-Euclidean spaces. Additionally, they may not be applicable when dealing with discontinuous or singular vector fields.