1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes' theorem and unit vector

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Stokes' theorem to show that

[tex]\oint\ \hat{t}*ds = 0[/tex]

Integration is done closed curve C and [tex]\hat{t}[/tex] is a unit tangent vector to the curve C
    2. Relevant equations
    Stokes' theorem

[tex]\oint F* \hat{t}*ds = \int\int \hat{n}*curl(F)*ds[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, this is really teasing me because I know that is probably simple. Could someone help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation is pretty sloppy. If t=(tx,ty,tz) the result of your first integral is the vector whose first coordinate is the integral of tx*ds, second is integral ty*ds, and third integral tz*ds. You want to show all of those are zero. Apply Stokes to the constant vector field F=(1,0,0). What does that tell you? What other vector fields would be good to use?

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3
    Yes, sorry about the notation, it is direct copy from the book that I'm studying. t is a unit vector with components (dx/ds, dy/ds, dz/ds) so after the multiplication the integral is taken from vector (dx, dy, dz)

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4
    Ok, now I think I got it. I should use Stokes' theorem with F=1 (scalar). What bothered me was that I was all the time looking at the cross product in curl which is not defined for scalars. Of course the cross product is only a notation, not actual vector cross product.

6. Aug 14, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No! You can't use Stokes theorem on a scalar. Use it on the vector F=(1,0,0)=1*i+0*j+0*k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook