1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes's Theorem showing 2 surface integrals are equal

1. Jul 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F = <z,x,y>. The plane D1: z = 2x +2y-1 and the paraboloid D2: z = x^2 + y^2 intersect in a closed curve. Stoke's Theorem implies that the surface integrals of the of either surface is equal since they share a boundary (provided that the orientations match).

2. Relevant equations

show each of the following integral and show them that they are equal.
    ∫∫[itex]_{D1}[/itex](∇[itex]\wedge[/itex]F).N dS
    ∫∫[itex]_{D2}[/itex](∇[itex]\wedge[/itex]F).N dS

3. The attempt at a solution

I first found that the boundary is given by ]r[/U]=(cosθ +1, sinθ +1, 2(sinθ + cosθ) +3), 0<θ<2pi. Then ∫F.dr on this boundary = -3pi. Then I will try to show the 2 surface integrals equal to this.

But I have trouble parameterising the surfaces.
    for D1, r = (u cosθ +1, u sinθ +1, 2r(sinθ + cosθ) +3), 0<r<1, 0<θ<2pi
    for D2, r = (x, y, x^2+y^2), ,0<x^2+y^2<2x+2y-1

I tried to solve both but got really complicated integrals which I could not solve. Could someone please tell me if I have parameterise them correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I presume the ##\wedge## symbol is supposed to be ##\times##, right?

Don't use r for two different things. And I suppose the u is supposed to be r? So$$
    D_1:~~\vec R = \langle 1 + r\cos\theta, 1 + r\sin\theta, 2r(\sin\theta+\cos\theta)+3\rangle$$

You have done a good job choosing your parameters for ##x## and ##y## (for which you didn't show your steps). I would use the same ##r,\theta## parameters for ##D_2##. You might find it easier to calculate the curl in terms of the x and y variables, then make the substitution. Or better yet, use$$
    \iint_S \nabla \times \vec F\cdot d\vec S =\pm \iint_{(r,\theta)}\vec F\cdot \vec R_r\times \vec R_\theta~drd\theta$$

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. Jul 14, 2014 #3
    Yes thats a mistake, u is the radius

So for D2 is (r cosθ, r sinθ, r^2), 0<θ<2pi, 0<r^2<2r(cosθ + sinθ) -1 correct?

5. Jul 14, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is not the same parameterization of ##x## and ##y## as you used for ##D_1##.

[Edit, added]. For your problem ##\nabla \times \vec F = \langle 1,1,1\rangle##. There is a typo in my last formula in post #2 which is too late for me to edit. All you have to do now is calculate$$
    \pm\iint_{(r,\theta)} \langle 1,1,1\rangle \cdot \vec R_r\times \vec R_\theta~drd\theta$$with the proper sign to verify your (correct) answer of ##-3\pi##.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted