Strainers- Do they possess problems too?

• Thread starter Ritz_physics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a final year mechanical engineering project involving analyzing industrial strainers. The person is having difficulty finding a problem big enough to provide a solution for as an engineer. They have looked into the issue of strainer cleaning but are unsure if it is a significant enough problem. The other person suggests that there are many different types of strainers and filters in various applications, indicating a large market and potential for innovation. They also suggest speaking with the person who suggested the project for further guidance.
Ritz_physics
I really need huge help on this. I have been suggested analyzing industrial stariners as a final year mechanical engg. project. However my project would require finding out existing problem/s in the element under analyses and I am not able to find any single problem (i.e. huge enough for a project) that i can give a solution to as an engineer. So please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ritz_physics said:
I really need huge help on this. I have been suggested analyzing industrial stariners as a final year mechanical engg. project. However my project would require finding out existing problem/s in the element under analyses and I am not able to find any single problem (i.e. huge enough for a project) that i can give a solution to as an engineer. So please help.

Where have you looked so far? What companies manufacture such systems? From reading at their websites, do they list "features" that suggest they have had to overcome problems?

The only problem i found out so far from most strainers is their cleaning. However there are already online strainers, the ones that can be cleaned while under operation, and some automatically cleaning strainers as well. I am doubtful if this would be an area huge enough to explore.

Ritz_physics, you may have underestimated the field that was suggested for your analysis project. When I used these search terms in Google: "automatic strainer self cleaning" I found many different types of filters and strainers in many different applications. There must be areas for improved systems and for innovative solutions yet to be discovered. Furthermore, it's clear there is a large market for these products because there are so many large corporations designing, manufacturing, and selling them. Perhaps you could speak with your professor who suggested the analysis and ask for some clarification and or guidance for your project.

Bobbywhy said:
Ritz_physics, you may have underestimated the field that was suggested for your analysis project. When I used these search terms in Google: "automatic strainer self cleaning" I found many different types of filters and strainers in many different applications. There must be areas for improved systems and for innovative solutions yet to be discovered. Furthermore, it's clear there is a large market for these products because there are so many large corporations designing, manufacturing, and selling them. Perhaps you could speak with your professor who suggested the analysis and ask for some clarification and or guidance for your project.

Actually i was suggested this project by a person who is a manufacturer of strainers. I will speak with him regarding the possible developments in this field. Thanks a lot Sir! You really boosted my confidence.

1. What are some common problems that strainers may have?

Some common problems that strainers may have include clogging, rusting, and breakage. Clogging can occur when debris or particles get stuck in the strainer, affecting its ability to filter properly. Rusting can happen if the strainer is made of a material that is not resistant to rust or is exposed to moisture. Breakage can occur if the strainer is made of a weak material or is subjected to extreme pressure or force.

2. How can I prevent clogging in my strainer?

To prevent clogging in your strainer, it is important to regularly clean and maintain it. This can involve removing any debris or particles that have accumulated, as well as using a strainer with a fine mesh to catch smaller particles. Additionally, properly disposing of waste and avoiding pouring substances that can easily clog down the drain can also help prevent clogging in your strainer.

3. Can rusting in a strainer be harmful to my health?

In most cases, rusting in a strainer is not a health concern. However, if the rust is coming from the strainer itself and not from the substances passing through it, it can be a sign that the material of the strainer is corroding and may need to be replaced. Ingesting rust can also cause stomach discomfort, so it is best to replace a rusting strainer to avoid any potential health risks.

4. How do I know if my strainer is broken?

If your strainer is not functioning as it should, it may be broken. Signs of a broken strainer can include leaks, cracks, or a loose fit in the drain. If you notice any of these issues, it is important to replace your strainer to ensure proper filtration and avoid any potential plumbing problems.

5. Are there different types of strainers that may have different problems?

Yes, there are various types of strainers, each with their own set of potential problems. For example, a mesh strainer may be prone to clogging, while a basket strainer may be more susceptible to rusting. It is important to research and choose a strainer that is best suited for your specific needs to minimize the chances of encountering problems.