1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strainers- Do they possess problems too?

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    I really need huge help on this. I have been suggested analyzing industrial stariners as a final year mechanical engg. project. However my project would require finding out existing problem/s in the element under analyses and I am not able to find any single problem (i.e. huge enough for a project) that i can give a solution to as an engineer. So please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where have you looked so far? What companies manufacture such systems? From reading at their websites, do they list "features" that suggest they have had to overcome problems?

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3
    The only problem i found out so far from most strainers is their cleaning. However there are already online strainers, the ones that can be cleaned while under operation, and some automatically cleaning strainers as well. I am doubtful if this would be an area huge enough to explore.

5. Jun 28, 2013 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Ritz_physics, you may have underestimated the field that was suggested for your analysis project. When I used these search terms in Google: "automatic strainer self cleaning" I found many different types of filters and strainers in many different applications. There must be areas for improved systems and for innovative solutions yet to be discovered. Furthermore, it's clear there is a large market for these products because there are so many large corporations designing, manufacturing, and selling them. Perhaps you could speak with your professor who suggested the analysis and ask for some clarification and or guidance for your project.

6. Jun 29, 2013 #5
    Actually i was suggested this project by a person who is a manufacturer of strainers. I will speak with him regarding the possible developments in this field. Thanks a lot Sir! You really boosted my confidence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted