Strange electric-optical unit (a.u.)

In summary, the conversation discusses an article about LT GaAs MSM photo switches and their application in ultrafast sampling. The issue at hand is the way the plot is presented, with the x-axis representing time in ps and the y-axis showing a signal in arbitrary units. The meaning of a.u. is questioned, with one person suggesting it could stand for atomic units while another believes it may refer to arbitrary units. The use of arbitrary units is common in experimental physics, where calibrating instruments is often difficult and only the relative change in signal over time is important.
Micko
Hello to all,
I'm reading one article about LT (low temperature) GaAs MSM (metal-semiconductor-metal) photo switches that has application in ultrafast sampling.
Basically, there is one photoswitch in series with hold capacitor. Special test is performed which gives electro-optical signal depending on time. Problem is in the way how plot is given in the terms of units. On x-axis is time in ps, but on y-axis in signal given in a.u. I know that a.u.means atomic unit, but this is not it, it can't be. I cannot find any other meaning of a.u.
Do you know what this could mean?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
a.u. can also mean arbitrary units.
I suspect they are measuring the signal using an instrument where they can't easily relate the absolute value of the signal to the reading; i.e. only the relative value of the signal is important.

This is quite common in experimental physics; in many experiments it is almost impossible to "calibrate" the instruments which is fine as long as one is only interested in how a signal changes over time.

f95toli said:
This is quite common in experimental physics; in many experiments it is almost impossible to "calibrate" the instruments which is fine as long as one is only interested in how a signal changes over time.
I wouldn't say so much as impossible as irrelevant in a linear system since the absolute readings scale with the power of your source anyway.

Claude.

What is a strange electric-optical unit (a.u.)?

A strange electric-optical unit (a.u.) is a unit of measurement used in science to describe the strength of an electric field or the intensity of light. It is based on the fundamental physical constants of the speed of light, Planck's constant, and the elementary charge.

How is a strange electric-optical unit (a.u.) defined?

A strange electric-optical unit (a.u.) is defined as the value of the electric field or light intensity when the product of the speed of light, Planck's constant, and the elementary charge is equal to 1.

What is the significance of using strange electric-optical units (a.u.)?

Using strange electric-optical units (a.u.) allows scientists to work with values that are independent of the units used in traditional systems of measurement. This makes calculations and comparisons between different systems easier and more accurate.

How do strange electric-optical units (a.u.) relate to other units of measurement?

There are several different conversion factors that relate strange electric-optical units (a.u.) to other units of measurement, such as SI units and Gaussian units. These conversion factors can vary depending on the specific quantity being measured.

Can strange electric-optical units (a.u.) be used in everyday life?

No, strange electric-optical units (a.u.) are not commonly used in everyday life. They are primarily used in scientific research and calculations, particularly in the fields of quantum physics and spectroscopy.