1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange electric-optical unit (a.u.)

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    Hello to all,
    I'm reading one article about LT (low temperature) GaAs MSM (metal-semiconductor-metal) photo switches that has application in ultrafast sampling.
    Basically, there is one photoswitch in series with hold capacitor. Special test is performed which gives electro-optical signal depending on time. Problem is in the way how plot is given in the terms of units. On x axis is time in ps, but on y axis in signal given in a.u. I know that a.u.means atomic unit, but this is not it, it can't be. I cannot find any other meaning of a.u.
    Do you know what this could mean?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a.u. can also mean arbitrary units.
    I suspect they are measuring the signal using an instrument where they can't easily relate the absolute value of the signal to the reading; i.e. only the relative value of the signal is important.

This is quite common in experimental physics; in many experiments it is almost impossible to "calibrate" the instruments which is fine as long as one is only interested in how a signal changes over time.

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I wouldn't say so much as impossible as irrelevant in a linear system since the absolute readings scale with the power of your source anyway.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?