1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange invocation of Taylor series

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I was working through a chapter on Lagrangians when I cam across this:

"Using a Taylor expansion, the potential can be approximated as
    ## V(x+ \epsilon) \approx V(x)+\epsilon \frac{dV}{dx} ##"

Now this looks nothing like any taylor expansion i've seen before. I'm used to

## f(x) = \sum\frac{f^{(i)}(a)(x-a)^i}{i!} ##

What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just need to expand the definition of the Taylor series over the first couple of terms. Remember to account for x + ε as the argument of V(x).

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3
    What are the first two terms with a = x + ξ ?

5. Jul 28, 2015 #4
    Looks like it's ## f(x) \approx f(x + \epsilon) - f^1(x + \epsilon)\epsilon ##

Oh, ok, I see now. So the ##\frac{dV}{dx}## is really a ##\frac{dV(x + \epsilon)}{dx}## ??

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't even need to use a Taylor series. Just use the definition of a derivative:
    [tex] \frac{dV}{dx}= \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{V(x+\epsilon)-V(x)}{\epsilon}[/tex]
    Therefore, for smaller and smaller [itex]\epsilon[/itex], the above becomes a better and better approximation. The expression from your first post just comes from taking the above equation, dropping the limit, and isolating [itex]V(x+\epsilon)[/itex].

7. Jul 29, 2015 #6
    Sorry, do what SteamKing suggested but also take a=x as where the approximation is taken from. That should give the same answer.

8. Jul 29, 2015 #7
    Ok I finally figured it out. I was wrong in my previous comment. ## x \mapsto x + \epsilon ## and ## a = x ##
    Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook