Are Cover Versions Better Than the Originals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    even
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
167 replies · 31K views
Sorry if this was posted already.

Embarrassed if it was me that posted it.

Pretenders, "Creep".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_U2cWtIFEw

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Sorry if this was posted already.

Embarrassed if it was me that posted it.

Pretenders, "Creep".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_U2cWtIFEw



Thanks for that. You're special Lisab. I tried to respond to you're request, it looked too complicated for my pea brain. Hope it worked :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like this particular cover of "stone in love." It sounds almost like the original.

Do yourself a favor, go see the movie "Mud" and watch this video, that will kick off the summer 2013 right for you :wink:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyzQl1msfnU
 
Probably my favorite cover ever. It's soooo poignant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPTZw5I10wg


It's a Dylan song. I read a biography on the whole Mad Dogs escapade. Seemed like Leon and Joe were having a power struggle and hated each other there at the end. You can't tell it from the records, though, thank god.
 
OK DP. I decided to post these covers in 2008 in your thread. This was the 2008 Brit Awards (UK) with Adele, Daniel Merriweather and Amy Winehouse. Amy covers a song by the Zutons from way back in 2006. The Merriweather cover is older, and I'm not sure about Adele's whose performance was sub-par for her. Amy's strong performance belies the fact that she was near the end of her productive career at age 25.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYp33C1nes

EDIT: Winehouse won a Brit award in 2007 and was nominated but did not win in 2008.
 
Last edited:
Nice pick Vande, thanks. RIP Amy, I can't imagine the great art she would have continued to make. We all lose there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
There have been many covers of Carol King's "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", originally recorded in an upbeat mode by the Shirells in 1961. I haven't heard them all, but of the ones I have heard, Amy Winehouse's is my favorite. Recorded for the Bridget Jones movie "Edge of Reason" in 2004, it's a demonstration of Winehouse's vocal talents. The pacing, phrasing, intonation and her sense of the song are as good as it gets IMHO.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ludxpkyrab0
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't really a cover, but Billy Paul should get credit for inspiring this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nibiavizfrU

BTW: Rulers and Brixton are music venues. '9 and 14' is Sept 14, the singer/songwriter's birthday. "Sammy" is Sammy Davis Junior and "best black Jew" is rapper Nasr Jones (the songwriter is Jewish). I think this song should be played in the US House of Representatives.
 
Last edited:
I can't say it's better than Aretha's original, but I can't say it isn't either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEKZL3mjctQ
 
SW VandeCarr said:
I can't say it's better than Aretha's original, but I can't say it isn't either.

Wow! That's fantastic.
 
This music is amazing and the composer is simply incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qzm3UUTrg
 
A great cover of a great song... really captures the essence of "making it your own."

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLgYAHHkPFs

Cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dunKAwRN3P8

WARNING: Graphic Images
 
When you find a cover of a song you love, most of the time it's a horrible experience.

Not this time, for me! Cyndi Lauper - La Vie en Rose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zxs6O4X-Y

Wow.
 
This cover of JerryC's Canon Rock was performed by Lim Jeong-hyun, a South Korean guitarist, known by the online alias funtwo.



At its peak, the video was the fourth most viewed video on YouTube (the original video was removed in 2011).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, better.
Thrift Shop - Lindsey Stirling & Tyler Ward (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Cover)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jessica Lange covered Bowie's "Life on Mars" in this season's opening episode of American Horror Story: Freakshow. Her character is German, so it comes off as Marlene Dietrich covering Bowie. Very interesting: