Strang's book, question about exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses the real part of a complex number and a complex matrix, specifically in relation to Hermitian matrices. The real part of a complex number z is half of z plus its conjugate, while the real part of a complex matrix Z is half of Z plus its Hermitian transpose. This is similar to the decomposition of a complex matrix into a hermitian and skew hermitian part.
lukaszh
Hello,
now I'm reading G.Strang's book Linear algebra and its Applications, chapter about Hermitian matrices and complex matrices. In one of the exercises, there's a sentence:

"The real part of [tex]z=a+\mathrm{i}b[/tex] is half of [tex]z+\overline{z}[/tex], and the real part of Z is half of [tex]Z+Z^H[/tex]."

I know that first part of sentence is undoubtedly truth, so

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(z+\overline{z})=\frac{1}{2}(a+\mathrm{i}b+a-\mathrm{i}b)=\frac{2a}{2}=a=\Re(z)[/tex]

But I can't understand that

[tex]\Re(Z)=\frac{1}{2}(Z+Z^H)[/tex]

if [tex]Z^H=(\overline{Z})^T[/tex]

Could you help me? Or tell me what is the real part of Z?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every complex matrix [tex]A[/tex] has a decomposition into a hermitian part

[tex]A_H=\frac{1}{2}(A+A^H)[/tex]

and a skew hermitian part

[tex]A_S=\frac{1}{2}(A-A^H)[/tex]

so that [tex]A=A_H+A_S[/tex]. This looks formaly similar to taking the real and imaginary parts of a complex number, which may be the reason Strang calls them "real" and "complex" parts.

1. What is the main premise of Strang's book?

Strang's book, "Question About Exercise" discusses the importance of incorporating physical activity into our daily lives for overall health and well-being.

2. What makes Strang's book unique compared to other books on exercise?

Strang's book takes a scientific approach to discussing exercise, providing evidence-based information and insights backed by research. It also addresses common misconceptions and myths about exercise.

3. Who is the target audience for Strang's book?

The target audience for Strang's book is anyone interested in learning more about the benefits of exercise and how to incorporate it into their lifestyle, including individuals of all ages and fitness levels.

4. What are some key takeaways from Strang's book?

Some key takeaways from Strang's book include the numerous physical, mental, and emotional benefits of exercise, the importance of finding an exercise routine that works for you, and the impact of exercise on overall health and longevity.

5. Is Strang's book suitable for readers without a scientific background?

Yes, Strang's book is written in a clear and accessible way, making it suitable for readers without a scientific background. However, it also includes in-depth information for those with a deeper interest in the science behind exercise.