The Theoretical Minimum book question

In summary, the dot product of two vectors can be thought of as the projection of one vector on the other. If the two vectors are orthogonal, or perpendicular, the projection will be 0. This can be visualized as the shadow of an object on the ground, where an object perpendicular to the ground will have no shadow.
OrigamiCaptain
I'm reading the book The Theoretical Minimum. I wonder if two one of the problems in the book can be thought of graphically. The mathematical solution didn't even occur to me, although it make perfect sense and probably should have been obvious.

1. Can you explain why the dot product of two vectors that are orthogonal is 0?

2. A dot B= abs(a)abs(b)cosθ

I know now that if it is orthogonal than θ=∏/2 and cos∏/2=0

Is there a way of visualizing i, j and k to get the same answer?3. For a second I thought that connecting x, y z together end to end would create a situation that would eliminate distance so the magnitude would equal zero, but after thinking about it a little more before posting this I don't believe that would work. I actually feel like there is something to this line of think though, which is why I'm asking this question.

Thank you for your time and consideration

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The dot product of two vectors can be thought of as the projection of one vector on the other- that's where the |b|cos(θ) comes from. If two vectors are orthogonal then the projections are of 0 length.

HallsofIvy said:
The dot product of two vectors can be thought of as the projection of one vector on the other- that's where the |b|cos(θ) comes from. If two vectors are orthogonal then the projections are of 0 length.

I think I get it, but could you be a little more specific what you mean by projection?

Thank you for the help.

The projection is like the shadow of an object on the ground (with the sun directly overhead).
If you are orthogonal (perpendicular) to the plane of the ground (and very, very skinny) then your shadow should be 0.

Got it! Thanks!

1. What is "The Theoretical Minimum" book about?

"The Theoretical Minimum" book is a series of books that cover the fundamental concepts and theories in physics and mathematics, starting from basic principles and building up to more advanced topics.

2. Who wrote "The Theoretical Minimum" book?

"The Theoretical Minimum" book was written by renowned physicist Leonard Susskind and his colleague George Hrabovsky.

3. What makes "The Theoretical Minimum" book different from other textbooks?

"The Theoretical Minimum" book is unique in its approach to teaching physics and mathematics. It focuses on building a strong conceptual understanding of the subject rather than simply memorizing equations and formulas.

4. Is "The Theoretical Minimum" book suitable for beginners?

Yes, "The Theoretical Minimum" book is designed for anyone with a basic understanding of high school algebra. It starts from the very basics and gradually introduces more advanced topics, making it accessible for beginners.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading "The Theoretical Minimum" book?

There are no strict prerequisites for reading "The Theoretical Minimum" book. However, having a basic understanding of high school algebra and some familiarity with physics concepts can be helpful.