Stress and strain atomic level

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concepts of stress and strain at an atomic level. The participants discuss the effect of applied load on the atoms of a metal bar and the resulting resistance and strain energy. They also question the role of Young's modulus and the relationship between it and the elasticity of the material. Lastly, they consider the internal resistance and strain energy in relation to the applied load.
jayanth nivas
Hi all,
This is a question regarding stress and strain.
Can someone please explain the concepts of stress and strain in atomic level?

My understanding is as follows.Let us consider a metal bar or rod that is subjected to tension.The load applied to the bar will be try to elongate the bar,that is it will try to pull the atoms of the metal apart.The atoms do have a strong force binding them so they will offer resistance to the load.So if i cut the cross section of the bar,the atoms on the surface will try to balance the force applied in order to maintain the equilibrium.So we take the internal resistance as the force applied by the area of the cross section.(But I'm not sure how atomic density affects this).

Now my understanding strain and hence the deformation is as follows.When the load is applied,the distance between the atoms slightly increases before an equilibrium is achieved between internal and external forces.This movement of atoms is converted into stain energy that is stored in the bar.As long as the applied load is retained,the distance of separation and hence strain energy is retained.When the applied load is removed,the strain energy is used to move the atoms back to the original state.

The problem with above statement is I assume the atoms will move before an equilibrium is established.Can anyone explain to me this a bit clearly?

And also the role of Young's modulus in this.If young's modulus is less,does that mean the atoms will move more before an equilibrium is reached?.If it is more does that mean elasticity is less?.

I think this is a stupid question but i will ask it anyway.If the applied load deforms the material and some part of the load is getting stored as strain energy,then will the internal resistance offered be for a load less than the applied load.It doesn't make sense any way but can some one explain this to me in terms of energy?

Sorry for long post.And thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Is my question confusing ? .Or am I asking something very basic?.Please reply so that I can improve

1. What is the difference between stress and strain on an atomic level?

Stress refers to the force applied to an object, while strain refers to the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object. On an atomic level, stress occurs when atoms are pushed or pulled apart from each other, while strain occurs when the atoms are displaced from their original positions.

2. How do atoms respond to stress and strain?

When atoms are subjected to stress, they may move or shift in response to the applied force. This movement can cause the atoms to stretch or compress, resulting in strain. Atoms can also rearrange themselves to accommodate the stress, creating new bonds or breaking existing ones.

3. What is the relationship between stress and strain?

The relationship between stress and strain can be described by Hooke's Law, which states that the amount of strain an object experiences is directly proportional to the amount of stress applied to it. This means that as stress increases, so does strain, until the object reaches its breaking point.

4. How does stress and strain at the atomic level affect the overall properties of a material?

The behavior of atoms under stress and strain greatly influences the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, stiffness, and ductility. For example, a material with strong atomic bonds will be able to withstand higher levels of stress before breaking, while a material with weaker atomic bonds will be more easily deformed by strain.

5. Can stress and strain at the atomic level be controlled?

Yes, stress and strain at the atomic level can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the temperature, applying external forces, or altering the material's composition. By manipulating these factors, scientists can study and engineer materials with desired properties for different applications.