Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress Concentration around a circular hole on a flat rectangular plate

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    Can anyone help with how to find the analytical solution to problem involving finding the stress concentration around a circular hole in a flat plate.

The plate is has tensile load on both sides.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's a classic example that is in any Mechanics of Materials text. Have you done any searching? The calculation, assuming plane stress, is the regular stress due to the tensile load multiplied by a stress concentration factor, Kt. That value ranges up to 3.0 depending on the size of the hole.

Chart 4.1 in Peterson's Stress Concentration Factors gives an empirical formula for the Kt value.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  4. Apr 12, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a circular hole, I'd have imagined that Kt would be independent of the radius.

5. Apr 12, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Kt is dependent on hole diameter and the distance between the hole edge and the plate edge.

6. Apr 12, 2007 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I'm thinking of the limit where the hole diameter is small compared to the dimensions of the plate, and small compared to the distance from the nearest edge. If I was looking for an analytical solution to the DEs, I'd have started from that simplification.

7. Apr 26, 2007 #6
    thanks for your help guys...

much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?