Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress Concentration, Stepped Shaft

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Most texts have stress concentration factors for a stepped shaft in tension that has a radius where the smaller shaft meets the larger one such as this reference:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/Materials/7.jpg

I'm looking for a reference (perhaps "Peterson's Stress Concentraton Factors" - I don't have a copy) that would show the stress concentration for a stepped shaft in tension with a conical interface between the two shafts. If you have a chart or set of equations, please post.

Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2
    Yes, I think that book should have it, if you can find it in a library.
    If you just want the number, you could use Solid Works or Solid Edge that can do this automaticly.

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, it's not in our library. I'm hoping someone has a copy and can post the pertinant page. Thanks.

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have it Q. Let me take a look and see. The conical reduction won't result in a perfectly sharp edge, will it?

EDIT: Peterson's has that design criteria, but in torsion only. I'd be happy to pass that chart along (assuming we don't have any copyright issues with the forum). If you want to pass along the geometry, it's shouldn't be too difficult to model it up and run FEA on it.

EDIT again: I just saw your sketch. I was looking at notches and not shoulder fillets. Let me look again.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  6. Apr 23, 2007 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Fred,
    I'm thinking of something along the lines of the configuration as shown on the attached. Note that load is an axial one (not shown on sketch).

Thanks,
    Q

Attached Files:

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Q. You have mail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?