Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress distribution(graphic) by using programming

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    hello, i hav another assignment need to do with programming..
    previously i only learn C..
    but my lecturer need us to show the stress distribution on a plane when force acted onto it..
    some thing like blue colour is for high intensity of stress(in range) then the further it go, the colour change with the intensity of stress...
    actually it's the calculation of finite element by using programming..
    can C do that?
    or other programming is better for it? (like visual basic)
    it's urgent also..
    please help me..
    thanks

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2
    By itself, C does not have any graphics capability. You would need to use add-on libraries. The only ones I know of, like OpenGL, are too complex for a quick homework assignment--they're made for industrial strength rendering. Maybe some other people can name better alternatives.

Fastest route is to use a program like Matlab, IDL, or Mathematica, that has graphing capabilties. Often times, university computing centers will make one or more of these programs available to students. If you can cough up ~$100 (that's what it was in my day), Mathematica and (I think) Matlab have student versions.

Lower on the scrounge chain, you used to be able to download IDL and use it for seven minutes in demo mode for $0. It's a hard way to learn.

Open source programs include gnuplot, hippodraw, and grace. Don't know how well they'd do at a 2-D intensity plot.

Good luck,
    Tim

4. Sep 26, 2006 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to what nmtim mentioned, if it's a FEM simulation result you could use some of the dedicated post-processing software freely available like GiD or so (internet finite element resources has a longish list). Those are more than able to produce the type of illustration you're after (with perhaps some minor scripting/coding to format the input), although imho the fastest way would be to use Matlab or a related freeware package.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?