Striaght Line Charge of Finite Length (E Field)

In summary, the problem involves finding the expression for the electric field at an arbitrary point due to a straight line of finite length charged with a total charge Q, in an ambient medium of air. The solution involves using the trigonometric relationships and integrating to find the electric field. The author of the textbook makes some transitions and introduces the variables l and d, which represent the length and distance of the line, respectively. The author also uses the unit vector R, which is equal to cos(theta) times the unit vector i minus sin(theta) times the unit vector k. The author mentions that theta ranges from theta1 to theta2, but it is important to note that theta1 is moving in a counterclockwise fashion while theta2
jegues
Straight Line Charge of Finite Length (E Field)

Homework Statement

Find the expression for the E field at an arbitrary point in space due to a straight line of length l uniformly charged with total charge Q. The ambient medium is air.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am following this example with the solution given in my textbook and I am confused about one part.

He somehow makes the following transition,

[itex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \int_{l} \frac{Q^{'}dl}{R^{2}} \hat{R} = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}ld} \left( \int_{\theta_{1}} ^{\theta_{2}} cos\theta d\theta \hat{i} - \int_{\theta_{1}} ^{\theta_{2}} sin\theta d\theta \hat{k} \right)[/itex]

Where does the ld in the denominator come from? We can conclude from the trig relationships that,

[itex]\frac{1}{R^{2}} = \frac{d\theta}{dz} \frac{1}{d}[/itex]

which can account for the d in the denonminator, is it supposed to be that,

[itex] l = \frac{dz}{d\theta}[/itex] ?

Also, how did he devise, [itex]\hat{R} = cos\theta \hat{i} - sin\theta \hat{k}[/itex] in the first place? Where does he get this from?

He also mentions that [itex]\theta[/itex] ranges from [itex]\theta_{1}[/itex] to [itex]\theta_{2}[/itex], but [itex]\theta_{1}[/itex] is moving in the counterclockwise fashion, thus shouldn't we conclude [itex]\theta_{1} > 0[/itex] and for [itex]\theta_{2}[/itex] moving in a clockwise fashion, [itex]\theta_{2} < 0[/itex]? He's got these reversed(like in the figure attached), so what am I mixing up?

Attachments

• EX1.8.JPG
    EX1.8.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still looking for help one this one!

1. What is a straight line charge of finite length?

A straight line charge of finite length refers to a line of electric charge that has a beginning and an end, as opposed to an infinite line of charge. This type of charge is often used in physics calculations to simplify the analysis of electric fields and forces.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a straight line charge of finite length?

The electric field for a straight line charge of finite length is calculated by using the formula E = λ/(2πε₀r), where λ is the charge per unit length, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the charge. This formula can be derived from the more general formula for electric field, E = kQ/r², where Q is the total charge and k is Coulomb's constant.

3. What is the direction of the electric field for a straight line charge of finite length?

The direction of the electric field for a straight line charge of finite length is always radial, meaning it points directly away from or towards the charge. The direction can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the fingers point in the direction of the charge and the thumb points in the direction of the electric field.

4. How does the electric field change as you move away from a straight line charge of finite length?

The electric field decreases as you move further away from a straight line charge of finite length. This can be seen in the formula E = λ/(2πε₀r), where the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the charge. This means that the electric field is strongest closer to the charge and becomes weaker as you move away.

5. Can a straight line charge of finite length have a negative charge?

Yes, a straight line charge of finite length can have a negative charge. The charge per unit length, λ, can be either positive or negative, depending on the type of charge. A positive charge will result in an electric field pointing away from the charge, while a negative charge will result in an electric field pointing towards the charge.