String wave and small angle approximation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and failed attempts of deriving the equation v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{u}} for a vibrating string. The person turns to Wikipedia for help but is shocked by the derivation. The conversation also mentions the use of small angle approximation in the derivation, which is reasonable due to the small amplitude of the vibrations. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that the assumption of small angles does not always lead to a meaningful answer.
genxium

Homework Statement

I'm so confused about the derivation of the famous equation [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{u}}[/tex], I tried to derive it by myself but failed, then I turned to wikipedia but the derivation there really gave me a shock!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string"

I have no idea why it can assume that's available to use small angle approximation in the figure, if the very small segment is not chosen from the top of the wave, angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] should not be taken as small angles.

Homework Equations

T: Tension in the string, u: Linear density of the string mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make another assumption: For each small segment [tex]\Delta l[/tex] in the string, 1st , it doesn't move along the x-axis so the acceleration on x-axis for each point is always 0, 2nd , the tension in the string is not equal everywhere. But just as everyone knows, this assumption doesn't lead to a meaningful answer.

Attachments

• StringParameters.png
    StringParameters.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 519
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
genxium said:

Homework Statement

I'm so confused about the derivation of the famous equation [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{u}}[/tex], I tried to derive it by myself but failed, then I turned to wikipedia but the derivation there really gave me a shock!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string"

I have no idea why it can assume that's available to use small angle approximation in the figure, if the very small segment is not chosen from the top of the wave, angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] should not be taken as small angles.

Homework Equations

T: Tension in the string, u: Linear density of the string mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make another assumption: For each small segment [tex]\Delta l[/tex] in the string, 1st , it doesn't move along the x-axis so the acceleration on x-axis for each point is always 0, 2nd , the tension in the string is not equal everywhere. But just as everyone knows, this assumption doesn't lead to a meaningful answer.

The reason it is reasonable to assume small angles [as in the highlighted section above] is because the amplitude is small - the crests are tiny.

Consider a guitar string" half a wavelength is the length of the string, and the vibrating string does not even get close to the adjacent string - indeed max amplitude is seldom more than a mm or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterO said:
The reason it is reasonable to assume small angles [as in the highlighted section above] is because the amplitude is small - the crests are tiny.

Consider a guitar string" half a wavelength is the length of the string, and the vibrating string does not even get close to the adjacent string - indeed max amplitude is seldom more than a mm or two.

Thanks a lot!

1. What is a string wave?

A string wave is a type of mechanical wave that travels along a medium in the form of a string. This wave is characterized by the transfer of energy through the medium, rather than the transfer of matter.

2. How are string waves created?

String waves are created by moving one end of a string up and down, causing a disturbance in the string. This disturbance travels along the string as a wave.

3. What is the small angle approximation?

The small angle approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the complex equations that describe string waves. It assumes that the angles involved in the wave are small enough to be approximated as linear.

4. Why is the small angle approximation important in string wave analysis?

The small angle approximation allows us to simplify the equations for string waves, making them easier to solve and analyze. This helps us better understand the properties and behavior of string waves.

5. Can the small angle approximation be used for all types of waves?

No, the small angle approximation is only applicable to certain types of waves, such as string waves or pendulum waves. It cannot be used for other types of waves, such as transverse waves in a medium.