Strings as described in Superstring theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Planck's constant and the size of strings in string theory. The expert confirms that the size of strings would be approximately equal to Planck's length, and mentions that this information can be found online or in books on string theory. They also clarify that Planck's constant is related to energy, not length. The conversation ends with the expert providing helpful information about the significance of the string length scale in the theory.
robertroman10
Are these 'strings' the size of planks constant? Nothing can obtain a size smaller than planks constant...right? What I am trying to figure out is if saying strings were the size of planks constant were a good approximation if the size of them

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey

Planck's constant has to do with energy, 6.626 X 10^-34 Joule-second, but you probably mean Planck's length 10^-33 centimeters.

And the answer is yes. The strings would be about that size. I was not sure, so I looked it up on the Internet. Plus I do believe that I have read that before in one of my books on string theory.

Forestman said:
Hey

Planck's constant has to do with energy, 6.626 X 10^-34 Joule-second, but you probably mean Planck's length 10^-33 centimeters.

And the answer is yes. The strings would be about that size. I was not sure, so I looked it up on the Internet. Plus I do believe that I have read that before in one of my books on string theory.

yeh sorry i meant length, and thanks a lot this will definitely help me!

It (string length scale) fixes the overall scale of the theory and can take any value (in the scales that we have not probed yet).

What is Superstring theory?

Superstring theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings.

What are strings in Superstring theory made of?

Strings in Superstring theory are not made of anything physical. They are fundamental entities that do not have any substructure, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller components.

How many dimensions are there in Superstring theory?

Superstring theory requires a total of 10 dimensions to work mathematically. This includes the three dimensions of space that we are familiar with, as well as an additional seven dimensions that are compactified, or curled up, and therefore not directly observable.

What is the difference between Superstring theory and other string theories?

Superstring theory is a specific version of string theory that incorporates supersymmetry, a theoretical concept that proposes a symmetry between particles with different spin. Other string theories may not include supersymmetry and can have different numbers of dimensions.

Is there any experimental evidence for Superstring theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for Superstring theory. However, it is still a popular theory among physicists because it has the potential to unify all the fundamental forces of nature and solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and the origin of the universe.