Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Strong force bremsstrahlung equivalent

1. Jun 12, 2016 #1

Garlic

Gold Member

Are there strong interactional equivalents of synchrotron, bremsstrahlung and cerenkov radiation?
    Or for the weak/gravitational interactions?
    For example, will an accelerating bare quark emit gluons?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are no bare quarks.

Jet quenching is an effect of high-energetic quarks or gluons flying through QCD matter.

4. Jun 13, 2016 #3

Garlic

Gold Member

I don't understand what you are meaning. There are no bare quarks, because they quickly hadronize. But for really short time intervals, they can remain outside hadrons, it's just a question of time.

I have red it. It says this process is medium induced, that's not what I meant.

I mean, a charged particle emits photons while being accelerated und decelerated, does a quark that has not yet been hadronized emit gluons while being accelerated or decelerated?

5. Jun 13, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They are never alone. They can be too high-energetic to be bound in hadrons, but you still don't get isolated quarks.
    Cherenkov radiation and Bremsstrahlung are induced by other matter as well. And you cannot have free quarks.
    Sort of. You get parton showers.

6. Jun 13, 2016 #5

Garlic

Gold Member

Thank you :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted