Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strong Law of large numbers question.

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have this question which I am puzzled from, hope someone can help me here.

Prove/disprove:
    If X[n] is a sequence of independent random variables, s.t for each n E(|X[n]|)<5 (E is the expecatation value) and the stong law doesn't apply to this sequence, then the same law doesn't apply on the sequence [tex]Y_n=max(X_n,X_{n+1})[/tex].

Any tips on how to solve this question, I think the assertion is correct, not sure how to show it though, I mean: [tex]P(|\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}X_i}{n}-\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}E(X_i)}{n}|>=\epsilon)[/tex] doesn't converge to zero as n approaches infinity, so I need to show that the same also applies to Y[n], or to show that its complement doesn't converge to 1.

So, [tex]P((|\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}Y_i}{n}-\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}E(Y_i)}{n}|<\epsilon)>=1-\frac{Var(Y_n)}{n^2\epsilon^2}[/tex].
    Now [tex]Var(Y_n)=E(Y^2_n )-E(Y_n)^2[/tex], now here I need to use that E(|X[n]|)<5, but not sure how.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook