1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structural Engineering with Mechanical Engineering background

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    Someone with a BS in Mechanical Engineering can he branch off to graduate studies in Structural Engineering so he can be involved in construction projects, piping systems, water distribution systems and complex utility projects, etc.

If so, what does he need to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Get hired by a company to do such a job. :biggrin:

...However, if your Engineer's Code of Ethics is anything like the Engineer's Code of Ethics that I swore to, you cannot be working outside your competence / training (i.e. if you don't have the skills or training for something, don't do it, or sign off on it!) Not so much your situation, but for something like designing a power grid without any electrical experience. Or the Chemical Engineer who incorrectly spec'd thermal expansion joints and piping and had the plant burn down.

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3
    Well if Mechanical Engineers can construct plants why can't they do similar work in other structural related projects.

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Like I said, if you can convince a company that you're qualified to do it, then you're a structural engineer!

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5
    Anyone else?

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6
    You will learn many of such things in the industry, not in school. So my advice is try get into a company doing those things, and you will start doing them.

8. Dec 12, 2009 #7
    I've completely discarted this option anyways. I have better chances of combining MechE with EE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook