Structure formation/Gravitational collapse

In summary, the conversation discusses the average density of a disk galaxy and its dark halo, as well as the minimum time for gravitational collapse and the maximum possible redshift for observing galaxies comparable to our own. The average density is found to be 3v^2 / (4πGR^2) by combining equations. The minimum time for collapse is approximately equal to R_halo/v, and the maximum redshift for observing galaxies with similar properties is given by the formula t(z) = (2/3H_0)(1/(1+z))^(3/2), where t(z) represents the minimum time for collapse and redshift (z) represents the corresponding redshift value. This is due to the inverse relationship between time
utopiaNow

Homework Statement

Suppose that the stars in a disk galaxy have a constant orbital speed v out to the edge of its spherical dark halo, at a distance [tex]R_{halo} [/tex] from the center of the galaxy.

1. What is the average density [tex] \rho [/tex] for the galaxy, including its dark halo?

2. If a bound structure, such as a galaxy, forms by gravitational collapse of an initially small density fluctuation, the minimum time for collapse is

[tex] t_{min} \approx t_{dyn} \approx 1/ \sqrt{G \rho} [/tex]

Show that [tex] t_{min} \approx R_{halo}/v [/tex] for a disk galaxy.

3. What is the maximum possible redshift at which you would expect to see galaxies comparable in v and [tex]R_{halo} [/tex] to our own galaxy?(use [tex] \Omega _{m0} = 1, \Omega _{\Lambda} = \Omega _{K} = 0 [/tex] )

Homework Equations

Total Mass inside R is given by:
[tex]
M(R) = \frac{v^2 R}{G}
[/tex]

And the volume inside R is given by [tex] V = \frac{4}{3} \pi R^3[/tex]

Friedmann Equation:
[tex]
H^2(a) = H_0^2 [\Omega _{\Lambda 0} + \frac{\Omega_{mo}}{a^3} + \frac{\Omega_{ro}}{a^4} + \frac{\Omega_{Ko}}{a^2}]
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Combining the first two equations basically doing M/V I get [tex] \rho = \frac{3v^2}{4 \pi G R^2}.[/tex]
2. Here its basically just plugging my expression I got for #1 into the approximate equivalence they give to show that its approximately equal to that thing.

3. Here is where I have the trouble. I guess I'm looking for the farthest out redshift which will still have a comparable minimum time for gravitational collapse to our own galaxy. And I'm supposed to use the Friedmann equation somehow. And that's about all I understand at the moment. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: My only guess I can make is from the Freidmann Equation we can get time as a function of redshift(z). To find the formula:
[tex]
t(z) = \frac{2}{3H_o} (\frac{1}{1+z})^{3/2}
[/tex]

And we set [tex] t_{min} = t(z) [/tex] and find the corresponding redshift. However I don't know why that would be the answer, I'm simply plugging and playing to find an answer.

Edit 2: I think I understand why that would give the answer, It's because that's minimum time it would take for a galaxy of comparable v and [tex] R_{halo} [/tex] to collapse and form. So if a comparable galaxy to ours forms in this minimal time, the maximum redshift we would be able to view such a galaxy would be given by the t(z) formula I gave above. We need to minimize time to maximize redshift because we can see from t(z) function I gave that time and redshift are inversely proportional. So if we could see galaxies of comparable v and [tex] R_{halo} [/tex] to ours at farther redshift, they would've had to collapse faster than the minimum time, which is not possible.

Does this seem reasonable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your reasoning is correct. The maximum redshift at which we could see a galaxy with comparable v and R_halo to our own would be when the minimum time for gravitational collapse, t_min, is equal to the age of the universe at that redshift. This is because any galaxy that formed after that redshift would have taken longer than the minimum time to collapse, and therefore would not have comparable v and R_halo to our own.

Using the Friedmann equation, we can find the age of the universe at a given redshift using t(z) = (2/3H_0)(1/(1+z))^3/2. We can then set this equal to t_min = R_halo/v and solve for the maximum redshift, which gives us the answer of t(z) = R_halo/v. This means that the maximum redshift at which we could see a galaxy comparable to our own would be when t(z) = R_halo/v.

Overall, your understanding and approach to the problem are correct. Well done!

1. What is structure formation?

Structure formation is the process by which matter in the universe clumps together to form larger structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. It is driven by the force of gravity, which causes matter to attract and eventually collapse into denser regions.

2. How does gravity play a role in structure formation?

Gravity is the main driving force behind structure formation. As matter in the universe is distributed unevenly, regions with slightly higher densities will have slightly stronger gravitational pull. This pull will cause matter to move towards these regions, eventually leading to the formation of structures like galaxies and galaxy clusters.

3. How do scientists study structure formation?

Scientists study structure formation by observing the distribution of matter in the universe, using techniques such as galaxy surveys and gravitational lensing. They also use computer simulations to model the evolution of the universe and the formation of structures over time.

4. What factors can affect the process of structure formation?

The process of structure formation can be affected by several factors, such as the amount and distribution of matter in the universe, the expansion rate of the universe, and the properties of dark matter and dark energy. These factors can influence the strength of gravity and the rate at which structures form.

5. What can we learn from studying structure formation?

Studying structure formation can provide insights into the origins and evolution of the universe. It can also help us understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as the role of gravity in shaping the universe. Additionally, it can provide information about the distribution and composition of matter in the universe and the mysterious phenomena of dark matter and dark energy.