Given a set of solids, compute the inward flux

In summary, the function f is a vector field that is calculated to have an inward flux when the domain is the sphere cut by the plane passing the points (-2,y,0) and (0,y,2).
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Let ##_\Omega \left\{ (x,y,z)\in R^3 : - \sqrt{3-y^2-z^2} \leq x \leq z+2 ,y^2+z^2 \leq 3 \right\} ##
and consider the function
##f(x,y,z)=y^2x+z^2x##

Represent the domain ##\Omega##
compute the vector field ##F=\nabla f##
compute the inward flux.
Relevant Equations
flux integration
Let ##_\Omega \left\{ (x,y,z)\in R^3 : - \sqrt{3-y^2-z^2} \leq x \leq z+2 ,y^2+z^2 \leq 3 \right\} ##
and consider the function
##f(x,y,z)=y^2x+z^2x##

Represent the domain ##\Omega##
compute the vector field ##F=\nabla f##
compute the inward flux.

So I've found that one is a cylinder of radius ##\sqrt 3##
the second figure is a sphere with radius ##\sqrt 3##
then there is a plane passing through z=2 and x=2
the sphere is inside the cylinder, and concerning the sphere i consider just the part above the x axes, can't see how the plane intersect the two

now,
i'm having problems on finding the intersections in order to find also the boundaries of integration, in truth I'm always struggling at this step.
How do I have to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
So I've found that one is a cylinder of radius √3\sqrt 3
the second figure is a sphere with radius √3\sqrt 3
then there is a plane passing through z=2 and x=2
You see the sphere is contained in the cylinder. So the domain is the sphere cut by the plane passing the points (-2,y,0) and (0,y,2). Death Star like shape.

Last edited:
Someone check me, but is it easiest if you adopt the cylindrical coordinate system as ##x = x, y = r \sin \theta, z = r \cos \theta##? Then you have ##_\Omega \left\{ (x,y,z)\in R^3 : - \sqrt{3-r^2} \leq x \leq r \cos \theta+2 ,r \leq 3 \right\} ## and ##f(x,y,z)=r^2x##.

Then computing ##\nabla f## is straightforward (it's cylindrical coordinates) and the integration bounds would be as I've shown for ##x##, ##\theta \in [0,2\pi]## and ##r \leq 3## (shown above).

If it's confusing, without loss of generality let ##x = z##, which then implies ##- \sqrt{3-r^2} \leq z \leq r\cos \theta+2##, ##f = r^2 z##, and of course ##\theta \in [0,2\pi]##, ##r \in [0,3]##.

Thank you all , problem solved and exam passed.
Long life to physics forum

Likes vanhees71 and mitochan

1. What is the purpose of computing the inward flux of a set of solids?

The inward flux is used to calculate the amount of a vector field that flows into a closed surface. This can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as determining the strength of a magnetic field or the rate of fluid flow through a boundary.

2. How is the inward flux calculated for a set of solids?

The inward flux is calculated by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of each face of the solid. This can be done using the Divergence Theorem or by breaking the solid into smaller, simpler shapes and summing their individual fluxes.

3. Can the inward flux be negative?

Yes, the inward flux can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is pointing outwards and the normal vector is pointing inwards, resulting in a negative dot product. Inward flux is typically considered positive when it is flowing into the surface and negative when it is flowing out of the surface.

4. Is computing the inward flux important in all types of scientific studies?

No, computing the inward flux is most commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. It may not be relevant in other scientific studies, such as biology or psychology.

5. What are some common applications of computing the inward flux?

Some common applications of computing the inward flux include determining the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe, calculating the strength of an electric or magnetic field, and studying the behavior of fluids in various engineering designs. It can also be used in weather forecasting and in studying ocean currents.