Struggling to decide between physics of chemistry for career prospects

In summary, the two careers that have the most prospects in the industry are medical chemistry and forensic chemistry. Medical chemistry has the potential to help people with a lot of different diseases, while forensic chemistry can help solve crimes. However, it is important to make sure that you choose a career that has the potential to be in demand, as there is no guarantee that you will be able to find a job in those fields if you do not have a degree in that area.
smulc
I'm having trouble deciding between the two as I don't want to go into any specific field, my goal is just to be in a position to have a proper career. I don't know which subject has more prospects in the industry but I'll probably want to progress to a masters eventually and obviously will have to decide on something more specialized at the time. I live in the UK now but I'd really like to move to America one day so something that is likely to be in demand there would be good. I'm leaning towards chemistry as I'm not sure if my maths is up to scratch for physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The more specific a career you choose, the more likely you can manage education to be successful in finding and improving in the career. Be careful about limiting yourself in your education. Physics is great. What do you want to do? Physics by itself is not enough (as you should understand through some discussions on this forum). Chemistry is good, maybe great, but by itself, it is not enough. What do you want to do in Chemistry?

Nobody can be sure what you mean, "not up to scratch" in Mathematics. You need Calculus at least up through Multivariable, and a course containing instruction on Differential Equations and containing some Linear Algebra. Going beyond the minimum is better than just trying to do the minimum. You absolutely MUST become good at intermediate algebra.

What do you want to do? What job or jobs do you want? The more specific, the better.

Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest I don't really know what I want, that's why I'm curious about which careers have good prospects and are in demand. There isn't a specific area that I'm interested in at the moment, I just want to collect some options that are likely to help me into a good career and make a choice from there. I'd hate to choose something just because I find it interesting and then down the line discover that there isn't any demand for that specialty.

A few things I've looked at are medical chemistry, forensic chemistry and medical imaging. I feel like I need to know which areas are going to have the best prospects before I can make a decision though.

1. What are the main differences between physics and chemistry as career paths?

The main difference between physics and chemistry as career paths is the focus of study. Physics deals with the fundamental principles of matter and energy, while chemistry focuses on the composition, properties, and reactions of substances. Additionally, physics tends to be more theoretical and mathematical, while chemistry involves more hands-on experimentation in the lab.

2. Which field offers better job prospects: physics or chemistry?

Both physics and chemistry offer strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. In general, physics graduates may find more job opportunities in research and development, engineering, and technology industries, while chemistry graduates may find more opportunities in healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and environmental fields.

3. Can you switch between physics and chemistry careers after obtaining a degree?

While it is possible to switch between physics and chemistry careers, it may require additional education or training. For example, a physics graduate may need to take additional chemistry courses to work in a chemistry-related field. However, the fundamental principles and scientific skills learned in both fields can be transferable to various industries.

4. Which field offers higher salary potential: physics or chemistry?

In terms of salary potential, both physics and chemistry offer high-paying careers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,850 in 2020, while the median annual wage for chemists was $79,330. However, salaries can vary depending on the specific job, location, and level of education and experience.

5. Are there any interdisciplinary fields that combine both physics and chemistry?

Yes, there are several interdisciplinary fields that combine elements of both physics and chemistry. Some examples include materials science, biophysics, and physical chemistry. These fields often involve the study of the physical and chemical properties of materials, biological systems, and chemical reactions, and may offer unique career opportunities for those with a background in both physics and chemistry.