Struggling with French? Any recommendations for English books to self-study?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Homework Helper
Messages
1,424
Reaction score
3
Since French is not really a science, but I found no board that really fits this so I think putting it in Other sciences would be fine.
French is really driving me crazy!
After two years studying French, and I find myself understand nothing of it (yeah, absolutely nothing)... I cannot even read an easy paragraph in French, I cannot count in French, I don't know which object is female, and which is male, I cannot supply the correct form of the verbs, blah blah blah... In fact I cannot say anything in French, apart from Bonjour Mosieur, or that kind of thing... :cry:
So I go to talk to my teacher about this... Asking for some books for self-studying. But he says there is no book that is written in Vietnamese, that really teach you French (I am a Vietnamese, and he's a Vietnamese, too).
I went to the bookstore looking for some Vietnamese-French books, but I found none! :frown: I just found the books that are written all in French, and I don't think I can read them without a teacher guiding me...
So does anyone here study French? Can you guys recommend me some good books that teach French in English, that one can actually use it to self-study?
Thanks a lot,
Mercy beaucoup (is this correct?) :rolleyes:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You might try Schaum's Outlines, combined with audio lessons on CD.

For the Outlines see this page:

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getcategory.php?template=schaums&catid=2715&category=Foreign%20Language&level=3

Scroll down and you will find one for French Vocabulary and another for French Grammar. Hey, maybe one day you'll be the one to translate those into Vietnamese!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
French is not a science, nor is it logical.

"Que ce que c'est.." (or something like that) is garbage.
 
Tom Mattson said:
You might try Schaum's Outlines, combined with audio lessons on CD.

For the Outlines see this page:

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getcategory.php?template=schaums&catid=2715&category=Foreign%20Language&level=3

Scroll down and you will find one for French Vocabulary and another for French Grammar.
Hey, maybe one day you'll be the one to translate those into Vietnamese!
Yes, thanks a lot. :smile:
You saved me... Yay!
arildno said:
French is not a science, nor is it logical.
Agreed :devil:.
And I have to try damn hard to get above the average point... :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've studied French for 6 years, been to Paris for two weeks, and I still can't speak it well. This is the order in which I feel comfortable with it - 1)Reading 2)Writing 3)Speaking. Keep at it and it will get better. I can pretty much understand everything my teacher says and our classes are almost completely en francais. Bon chance.
 
Can you not use an english book teaching french, your english seems pretty good.