Looking for Quantum Mechanics Courses? Any Recommendations?

In summary: I hope you didn't mistaken it with Sakurai's Advanced Quantum Mechanics. The OP said he has learned linear algebra, calculus, and electromagnetism and also does not mind rigorous text. Along with the inherent postulates of QM which are introduced along the way in Sakurai, I believe these backgrounds can still guide the OP through the book although probably the road is rather rough in the beginning. The good side of Griffith's books (not only his QM book) is that they present the subject matter in an easily attractive way, but on that purpose sometimes obscure the underlying fundamentals. It's good for motivating a beginner indeed, but sticking solely with this book is not a wise idea, especially for those who want to be serious
FreyaS13
Hello guys,
I just finish my first year at uni Phys and Maths,and would like to self teach Quantum Mechanics during this summer, as so I was wondering if you guys could suggest me any good full online courses/ lectures available on the web .
I have found
from neptel
from Oxford

Bookwise suggestions are also welcomed ,I am thinking using David J Griffiths and Feynman's VOL.3 .
I mathematical inclined and quickly grasp physical concepts so rigorous texts are warmly welcomed.

During my first year I had Linear ALgebra, calculus, electromagnetism,classical mechanics...

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai. The approach presented by the author in conveying the substance of QM is more formal and standard than Griffith's, although the latter is often easier to grasp thanks to its often hand-waving arguments. I would recommend making Sakurai as your main study book complemented by Griffith. As for online lecture notes, I used to learn from MIT and http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys5250/phys5250_fa14/lecnotes.html.

Likes FreyaS13
blue_leaf77 said:
Try Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai. The approach presented by the author in conveying the substance of QM is more formal and standard than Griffith's, although the latter is often easier to grasp thanks to its often hand-waving arguments. I would recommend making Sakurai as your main study book complemented by Griffith. As for online lecture notes, I used to learn from MIT and http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys5250/phys5250_fa14/lecnotes.html.

Wait, is this wise for someone just starting out to learn QM? That's like recommending Jackson's text for someone starting to learn E&M.

To the OP: Stick with Griffith. If you want to supplement it, try Shankar or even Liboff. And if you do not mind a "wordy" text, then go to Shiff.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Wait, is this wise for someone just starting out to learn QM? That's like recommending Jackson's text for someone starting to learn E&M.
I hope you didn't mistaken it with Sakurai's Advanced Quantum Mechanics. The OP said he has learned linear algebra, calculus, and electromagnetism and also does not mind rigorous text. Along with the inherent postulates of QM which are introduced along the way in Sakurai, I believe these backgrounds can still guide the OP through the book although probably the road is rather rough in the beginning. The good side of Griffith's books (not only his QM book) is that they present the subject matter in an easily attractive way, but on that purpose sometimes obscure the underlying fundamentals. It's good for motivating a beginner indeed, but sticking solely with this book is not a wise idea, especially for those who want to be serious in QM. I forgot Shankar, it's still better than Griffith IMO, so a combination between them is also good.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:

To the OP: Stick with Griffith. If you want to supplement it, try Shankar or even Liboff. And if you do not mind a "wordy" text, then go to Shiff.

Zz.
Agreed, the only change I'd make is don't use Griffiths... Neither of Sakaurai's texts are for someone who hasn't had a good course in introductory QM.

Balakrishnan is a very good teacher (I did not look into his course in QM, though).
I did not like first lectures of J.Binney and I abandoned his course.

I can definitely recommend a video-course of David Miller at https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/Engineering/QMSE01./Autumn2015/about
There exists also a second part of it at https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/Engineering/QMSE02./Winter2016/about
Each part is supposed to take 2-3 months of work. I took both these parts and IMO this is the best QM video-course available, if you are looking for something to start with. (You will need to register at the site before you can enroll and access the course).

I also liked MIT 8.04 introductory level course http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/lecture-videos/ which might be somewhere easier and nicer investment of your time during the summer.

Last edited:

Related to Looking for Quantum Mechanics Courses? Any Recommendations?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of particles and allows us to make accurate predictions about their properties and interactions. It also forms the basis for many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computers.

3. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a set of laws that describe the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics allows for particles to have both wave-like and particle-like properties and involves the concept of uncertainty.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of new computer technologies, such as quantum computers and cryptography, as well as advancements in medicine, materials science, and telecommunications.

5. How can I learn more about quantum mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning about quantum mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It is also helpful to have a background in mathematics, particularly linear algebra and calculus, in order to fully understand the concepts of quantum mechanics.