Stuck for 1hr on this UGLY derivative: 1/3sinx^3 (don't mock me)

In summary, the problem involves finding the derivative of "sin x to the power of 3 over 3" using the chain rule. The correct answer is -sin^2x times cosx. To solve this, you can rewrite the expression as (sinx)^-3 divided by 3, which makes it easier to see how to use the chain rule. The chain rule formula is D(F(G(x))=F'(G(x))*G'(x), where G(x) in this case is sinx. The f(g(x)) part would be 1/3 x^3, and then you would need to use the chain rule again. By differentiating G(x)=sinx, you should get cosx as
hkhil
It is "sin x to the power of 3 over 3". How do I derive this? I am supposed to use the CHAIN RULE.

Now the answer I am supposed to get is -sin^2x times cosx.

How did "that" happen. How do I chain the monster, 1/3sinx^3?

What troubles me is the sinx^3. For a regular sinx, the derivative is cosx. But with powers...? cosx^3?

Please 'elp.

Thx all

Physics news on Phys.org
if you rewrite it as (sinx)^-3 divided by 3 its easier to se how to use the chain rule. D(F(G(x))=F'(G(x))*G'(x)

G(x) in this case is sinx

Az,

Why would I write (Sinx)^ -3? Then I would just be taking the reciprocal of sinx^3... which is not what I want right?

Now I keep seeing THREE parts to the chain process.
So Mr. Chain tells us to do this... f'(g(x)) times g'(x).

And you already told me that g(x) is sinx. (therefore g'(x) = cos x)

So the f(g(x)) part would be 1/3 x^3. I still got more than a single variable in there! Then I would have to CHAIN AGAIN.
(In this case x^3 for the outside function, and 1/3x for the inside function...)

What am I not getting?

No, no, scrap the last bit.

1/3x^3 bit IS differentiable. but I am still not getting the correct answer. :mad:

hkhil said:
It is "sin x to the power of 3 over 3".
This means that the sine of x appears to the power of 3, not that x is to the power of 3.

The sign is wrong in the "answer" you gave.

Thanks guys.

I still don't quite get it, but I'm not even sure what to ask, so I'll leave it at that.
Yeah, the answer was "negative sine of x to the power of 2 times cosx". (made a mistake). (-sinx)^2 * cosx for those who would still like to have a crack at this.

Later all

I think I got confused by how you used /

is it 1/(3sinx^3) or one third of sinx^3 ?

if its the second scrap my suggestion.

By the answere I take it its the second one but it can't possibly be a negative answere since it starts positive and the derivate of sin is cos.

F(x)=(x^3)/3 => F'(x)=(x^2)*3*1/3

Now just derivate G(x)=sinx

you should get the correct answere from that and there is no way it can become negative. The correct answere should be
cosx*(sinx)^2
not
-(sinx^2) * cosx

and I apologise had I read your post properly I would have understood its one third of (sinx)^3 :blushing: :yuck:

3Cosec^2x * Cosecx
3(1 + Cot^2x) * Cosecx
3Cosecx + 3Cos^2x/Sin^3x
3Cosecx + 3Tan^2xCosecx
3Cosecx(Sec^2x)
3CosecxSec^2x

That should be pretty easy to differentiate. IE Product Rule

Last edited by a moderator:
You wrote 1/3sinx^3

Do you MEAN (1/3) sin3(x)
or
(1/3)sin(x3)
or
1/(3 sin3(x))
or
1/(3 sin(x3))??

If y= (1/3) sin3(x) then y'= (1/3)(3 sin2(x))(cos(x))= sin2(x)cos(x).

If y= (1/3)sin(x3) then y'= (1/3)(cos(x3))(3x2= x2cos(x3)

If y= 1/(3 sin3(x))= (1/3) sin-3(x) then y'= (1/3)(-3 sin-2(x))cos(x)= - cos(x)/sin2(x).

If y= 1/(3 sin(x3))= (1/3)(sin(x3))-1 then y'= (1/3)(-1)(sin(x3))-2(cos(x3)(3x2= -x2(cos(x3)/(sin(x3))2.

You've said the answer was supposed to be "-sin^2x times cosx" and you later said "(-sinx)^2 * cosx". These are different. Please be very careful when transcribing problems into ascii, use extra parenthesis if unsure. See Hall's post above for the many ways your question could be interpreted as you wrote it.

It is HallsofIvy's FIRST OPTION.

I am sorry for all the confusion. I finally got it. The step I forgot to do all along was SUBSTITUTE the sinx part INTO the derivative of the OUTER FUNCTION (Using the chain rule).
I was sitting there with the derivative of the outer function (3/3*x^2) and wondering how the heck there is a sin2(x) in the answer.

Anyways please bear with me, I will be able to express myself mathematically some day... (I hope...).

Thank you everybody for your efforts

Let me try. been a while so don't laugh.
1/3(sin(x))^3 i rewrote it for confort.
carry the power forward. 3/3 becomes 1 so i'll not write it at all.
sin(x)^2 times the derivative of what's inside. inside is a x so...1*sin(x)^2 is what i'd get.
let me check. i'll try another spomething. (3x^3+3x^2)^3
3(3x^3+3x^2)^2*(9x^2+6x)
so i was right. I have the sensation the "cos" should appear in there but...guess not.

edit: he said he got it so i wrote the full thing for the heck of it.

What is the derivative of 1/3sinx^3?

The derivative of 1/3sinx^3 is cosx^3.

How do I solve for the derivative of 1/3sinx^3?

To solve for the derivative of 1/3sinx^3, you can use the power rule and chain rule. First, rewrite the function as 1/3(sinx)^3 and then apply the power rule to get 3/3(sinx)^2. Next, use the chain rule and multiply by the derivative of the inside function, which is cosx. This gives you the final answer of 1/3sinx^2cosx.

Why does the derivative of 1/3sinx^3 involve cosx?

The derivative of 1/3sinx^3 involves cosx because of the chain rule. When we take the derivative of a function with an inner function, we need to multiply by the derivative of the inner function. In this case, the inner function is sinx, whose derivative is cosx.

How can I simplify 1/3sinx^3?

To simplify 1/3sinx^3, you can use trigonometric identities. In this case, you can use the identity sin^2x = (1-cos2x)/2. This will give you the simplified form of 1/3(1-cos2x)sinx.

Do I need to use trigonometric identities to solve for the derivative of 1/3sinx^3?

No, you do not need to use trigonometric identities to solve for the derivative of 1/3sinx^3. You can also use the quotient rule, which will give you the same answer. However, using trigonometric identities can help simplify the expression and make it easier to solve.