Stuck in an Infinite Square Well

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a one-dimensional infinite square well with a particle of mass M inside. The solution involves using the ODE \mathcal{H}\psi(x) = E\psi(x) and the potential function V=0 inside the well. The solution is found to be \psi(x) = A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) and the boundary conditions lead to the conclusion that even states are given by cosines and odd states by sines. The conversation concludes with a recommendation
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You don't need it verbatim. I'm just trying to solve for the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a one-dimensional infinite square well, with a particle of mass M inside. I'm embarrassed to say it, but the question is throwing me off because the infinite well is centred at zero, ranging from -b < x < b rather than from 0 < x < a.

Homework Equations

[tex] \mathcal{H}\psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex]

[tex] \mathcal{H} \equiv -\frac{\hbar^2}{2M}\frac{d^2 }{dx^2}\left(\right) + V() [/tex]

[tex] V = 0 \ \ \mbox{inside the well.} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Immediately from the ODE the solution is obviously:

[tex] \psi(x) = A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) [/tex]

[tex] \psi(b) = \psi(-b) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) =0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow -A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) =0 [/tex]

I'm really not sure how to proceed. There is no value of b for which both the sine and cosine will be zero, suggesting that for some eigenstates, A is zero, and for others, B is zero. Griffiths even hints that even states are given by only cosines and odd states by sines, but I can't figure out how to arrive at this result systematically.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you use a variable z=x+b. Then the well will be between
z=0 and z=2b, with the efunction sin(n\pi z/2b).

1. What is an Infinite Square Well?

An Infinite Square Well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined within a potential well with infinitely high walls.

2. How does a particle behave inside an Infinite Square Well?

A particle inside an Infinite Square Well is restricted to a specific region and can only exist within the boundaries of the potential well. It behaves as a standing wave, with discrete energy levels and probabilities of being found at different positions.

3. What is the significance of the Infinite Square Well in quantum mechanics?

The Infinite Square Well serves as a simple yet important example of how particles behave under the laws of quantum mechanics. It helps us understand the concept of quantization and the relationship between a particle's energy and its position.

4. Can particles escape from an Infinite Square Well?

No, particles cannot escape from an Infinite Square Well as they are confined within the boundaries of the potential well. However, they can tunnel through the walls with a small probability.

5. How is the energy of a particle in an Infinite Square Well related to its wavelength?

The energy of a particle in an Infinite Square Well is directly proportional to its wavelength. This relationship is known as the de Broglie wavelength and is given by the equation λ = h/p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the particle's momentum.