Students picking apples, 40* ladder on fence

• Thread starter clos561
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, the two kids are trying to use a ladder to pick apples on the other side of a fence. The ladder is at a 40° angle and one kid of 50 kg stands at the bottom while the other kid of 40 kg goes up. The lighter kid can go up to a distance of 2.91 meters before the ladder tips over, but this must also be added to the distance to the pivot point, which is 1.5/sin(40°).
clos561

Homework Statement

Two kids are trying to pick some apples that are on the other side of the fence which is 1.5m high. Since there is a vicious dog on the other side, they decided to use a ladder and lean it against the fence. The ladder of negligible mass is placed at an angle of 40° to the horizontal. One kid of mass 50 kg stands at the bottom of the ladder while another kid of mass 40 kg goes up the ladder. How far up along the ladder can the lighter kid go before it tips over?

Homework Equations

dont know if this is correct. Mass1Radius1=Mass2Radius2 could not find examples in my textbook that are similar

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer i got was 2.91 meters but its not an option.
The book says for a system like this to be equilibrium that equation must be true. not sure how to approach this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
clos561 said:

Homework Statement

Two kids are trying to pick some apples that are on the other side of the fence which is 1.5m high. Since there is a vicious dog on the other side, they decided to use a ladder and lean it against the fence. The ladder of negligible mass is placed at an angle of 40° to the horizontal. One kid of mass 50 kg stands at the bottom of the ladder while another kid of mass 40 kg goes up the ladder. How far up along the ladder can the lighter kid go before it tips over?

Homework Equations

dont know if this is correct. Mass1Radius1=Mass2Radius2 could not find examples in my textbook that are similar

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer i got was 2.91 meters but its not an option.
The book says for a system like this to be equilibrium that equation must be true. not sure how to approach this problem.
It would be nice if you showed your work. It seems you did this:
[tex]\frac{1.5}{sin(\frac{40}{180}\pi)}\frac{50}{40} = 2.92[/tex]

Is that what you did? Were you balancing the torque about the point in contact with the fence?

yes that is what i did.

clos561 said:
yes that is what i did.

The distance up the ladder is equal to that quantity plus the distance to the pivot. Add 1.5/sin(40 degrees) to your answer.

I would first clarify the problem statement to make sure that all the given information is accurate and complete. I would also ask for the units of measurement to ensure consistency in calculations.

Next, I would draw a free body diagram of the system to understand the forces acting on it. This would include the weight of both kids, the weight of the ladder, and the reaction forces from the fence and the ground. I would also consider the center of mass of the system and how it shifts as the lighter kid moves up the ladder.

From the given information, it seems that the ladder is considered to be massless, but in reality, it would have some mass and this would affect the stability of the system. Therefore, I would consider the mass of the ladder in my calculations.

To solve for the distance the lighter kid can go up the ladder before it tips over, I would use the principles of rotational equilibrium. This would involve setting up an equation that equates the torque (due to the weight of the kids and the ladder) on one side of the system to the torque on the other side (due to the reaction forces from the fence and the ground). I would also consider the angle at which the ladder is placed and the distances of the forces from the pivot point (the point where the ladder meets the ground).

Once I have set up the equation, I would solve for the unknown distance using basic algebraic manipulations. I would also make sure to include the units in my calculations and convert them if necessary.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by first clarifying the given information, drawing a free body diagram, considering the mass of the ladder, and using principles of rotational equilibrium to solve for the unknown distance. I would also make sure to include units in my calculations and convert them if necessary.

1. How many students can safely pick apples using a 40-foot ladder on a fence?

The number of students that can safely pick apples using a 40-foot ladder on a fence depends on the weight capacity of the ladder and the weight of the students. It is important to always follow the weight limit specified by the manufacturer to ensure safety.

2. Can a 40-foot ladder on a fence support the weight of multiple students?

The weight capacity of a 40-foot ladder on a fence depends on its design and materials. It is best to check the weight limit specified by the manufacturer before allowing multiple students to use the ladder.

3. What precautions should be taken when using a 40-foot ladder on a fence to pick apples?

When using a 40-foot ladder on a fence to pick apples, it is important to make sure the ladder is secure and stable. The base of the ladder should be placed on a flat and level surface, and the ladder should be securely fastened to the fence. It is also important to follow proper ladder safety techniques, such as keeping three points of contact on the ladder at all times and not overreaching.

4. Are there any safety risks when students pick apples using a 40-foot ladder on a fence?

As with any activity involving a ladder, there are potential safety risks when students pick apples using a 40-foot ladder on a fence. It is important to follow all safety precautions and to supervise students to ensure they are using the ladder correctly and safely.

5. Is a 40-foot ladder on a fence the best tool for students to use when picking apples?

The best tool for students to use when picking apples will depend on the specific circumstances and the height of the apple trees. A 40-foot ladder on a fence may be suitable for certain situations, but it is always important to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the ladder before use.