Studing physics and at 6 months i will finish my schoo

• Thread starter estrella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, estrella is struggling with the idea of continuing her education in physics, as she does not enjoy the subject. However, she is determined to finish her degree, as this will give her a good foundation for her future.
estrella
I am studing physics and at 6 months i will finish my school. The problem is that during the last 2 years I discovered that physics in not the thing I would like to do in the rest of my life. However, I desided to finish the school and for the last 1 year i study 10 h a day. The problem is that i feel so tired physically (i can't remember anything that I'm reading) and mentally (for trying so hard for something i don't like).
Please give me some job options or any reason for keeping trying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't despair, in fact your future is probably bright. Physics is one of the best all-around job preparations available. Many of the best engineers (electrical or mechanical) and programmers I've worked with studied physics in school. As a result, they are equipped to think critically and to analyze and solve problems that others cannot. You will pick up specific skills (programming in C++, for instance) needed for your job as you go. Look at your education as the background that equips you to take on any problem.

(You might back off on the intensity a little so you can finish without burning out. You'll do better if you retain some of what you are learning!)

Hang in there, estrella! I know exactly how you feel - I felt that way when I was in school, too.

It sounds like you would really benefit from backing off a tad, like marcusl said. Be sure to exercise every day. I got a lot of relief from stress by running a few miles nearly every day. And be sure you're getting enough sleep - college students are chronically sleep-deprived.

You're in the home stretch now. My advice would be, just finish your degree. Once it's over, you'll be better able to decide which direction you want to go with your life.

If you give up now, then everything was for naught...stick it through, you're almost there!

(...and even though I'm still rather new here, I am quite confident that you will be able to get lots of support from PF if and when you need it :smile: )

estrella: Sounds like a very hard problem you are going through. I can understand that you are sticking with your subject and getting a degree, so you have something after a couple of years of physics.

But physics is a lot of areas in science. Some areas are really close, namely quantum chem and some forms of physical chem.

But if science isn't your thing really, try being a teacher, maybe after you get your license (think you need one of those in the states...?), then pursue a career in nursing children in a kindergarten.

The only thing stopping you is a lack of creativity. maybe working with management consulting? Maybe insurance calculations? Spreading of risk in portfolios? Maybe being a fireman? CSI-agent? FBI-agent? going into the military?

But if you just are fed up with physics, physics pouring our of your ears, tainting your sense of smell, tainting everything it touches in your world... Then Maybe take an imaginary step back, face the music another time. And maybe you need some battery-rechargin' in the summer? Who knows. Supply us with more info and maybe we can help you better.

1. What can I do with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research in academia, engineering, data analysis, and technology development. It can also open doors to careers in finance, consulting, and even law.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to study physics?

While a strong math background is certainly helpful in studying physics, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students catch up on any math skills they may have missed in high school.

3. What skills will I gain from studying physics?

Studying physics can develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also requires strong mathematical abilities, data analysis, and computer programming skills. Additionally, studying physics can improve your ability to think abstractly and creatively.

4. How long does it take to complete a degree in physics?

The duration of a physics degree can vary depending on the program and the student's course load. Typically, a bachelor's degree in physics takes four years to complete, while a master's degree can take an additional two years. A PhD in physics can take anywhere from 4-6 years to complete.

5. What are some common misconceptions about studying physics?

One common misconception is that only geniuses can study physics. While it is true that physics requires a strong aptitude for math and critical thinking, anyone with dedication and hard work can excel in this field. Another misconception is that physics is only useful for those pursuing a career in academia, when in reality, the skills learned in physics can be applied to a wide range of industries and careers.