Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study: Global Warming Could Hinder Hurricanes

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2

I'm pretty sure this has been well-established, but I would like to find some references.
  4. Apr 26, 2007 #3
    reminds me of the resignation of Chris Landscheid as IPCC author:

That's very simple Chris, IPCC does carry "governmental" in it's name: Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change but not "scientific". That's because the climate is politics and not science. That's also what Paul Reiter had to experience, a part of an essay I'm writing:

BTW I'm not that "I" and "me" there, it's for somebody else to present.
  5. May 4, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A scientist who studies hurricanes is named Landsea? :biggrin:

It seems to me that his objections have nothing to do with the results of the study cited - the reasons for his objections are completely different than the mechanism discussed here. What does your post have to do with the thread? Also, every or at least most scientists that I have ever heard make it clear that no single season or event can be attributed to GCC. Even the general media seems to get it right most of the time.
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. May 16, 2007 #5
    I remember this discussion in 1992. El Nino has more effect on atlantic hurricanes than sea temperatures.

7. May 18, 2007 #6
    Predicting how hurricanes, which are localized storms are going to respond to the GHG warming is not cut and dry.

SST supply the majority of the energy for hurricanes. As the earth warms SST increase providing more energy for the storms. The warming will also provide more energy for the shear winds suppress storm formation.

Tropical storms lower SST as the suck the heat up to fuel the storm.

What will happen to SST if there are fewer storms?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?