Studying at the top universities

In summary, while attending a top ranked university can provide exposure to outstanding people and top quality instruction, it is not a guarantee of greatness. Many successful individuals have achieved success through hard work and determination in any environment, not just top universities. Success can be achieved by doing the best you can wherever you are and striving for more. Ultimately, it is not where you went to school that determines your success, but what you do with your opportunities.
redgoat
As we all know, genius, curiosity, persistance and self-motivation are all important factors that can lead a person to greatness. If so, how about getting into the high-ranked Universities and studying at the great Universities? Is it also one of the factors to lead greatness?

Physics news on Phys.org
the best mathematicians I work around tend to have gone to ordinary good universities and distinguished themselves first. then they were invited to the top universities.

the other direction, getting into top universities first, is a big advantage, but i would say it confers competence rather than greatness. I.e. almost everyone that trains at a top place is competent afterwards, but not necessarily outstanding.

the advantage it carries is exposure to outstanding people, and that gives one a goal to shoot for. also one hears top quality instruction, but it still remains to do something with it.

if you want a story of ordinary success rather than greatness, i am myself an average garden variety mathematician. i went to a top college, wasted much of my time, and left with little to show for it except the experience of having "been with saints", so to speak. I bounced down the professional ladder of mathematics until halted by landing near the bottom (a temporary job at a state college).

Then I became happily married, a father, and highly motivated. I attended whatever grad school offered the best support for my family and worked my *** off for 10-15 years. After 9-10 years I was invited back to the same top college I had bounced out of.

Interestingly, a world famous professor at this school once peered curiously at me and asked where I had come from? I said I got my PhD at [state university], but he persisted, " no where did you go to college?"

When I named his own famous university, he said "oh , you are a *...* man!" so he at least chose to believe my original exposure to his school caused all my subsequent success. I found this simultaneously flattering (that he thought I had accomplished enough to pique his curiosity) and insulting (that he gave me none of the credit). To what, I thought, did he attribute my years of struggle and difficulty?

This is of course not a tale of greatness or even excellence, but a tale of success wrung from failure. Things started getting good for me personally when i started working hard, wherever I found myself.

It does seem true however that really talented people who are lucky enough to find themselves also at top schools, do well. but recall einstein produced his Earth'shattering work while laboring in a patent office.

I have nothing to say about such remarkable people, but ordinary persons like myself are advised simply to do the best they can wherever they are, and perhaps aspire to more.

redgoat said:
As we all know, genius, curiosity, persistance and self-motivation are all important factors that can lead a person to greatness. If so, how about getting into the high-ranked Universities and studying at the great Universities? Is it also one of the factors to lead greatness?
Going to a big and famous university sure gives you lots of choices and chances to study more but it is never a prerequisite to becoming a good engineer. Especially in developed countries, all of them always want to talk big for really small things. Ordinary schools will have good investments from government and local or national organizations.
Teaching yourself. Professors at my school never try to directly answer my questions. They all ask some other Senpai's to take care of what I am doing even though none of them can even say what a compiler is ? :mad:
I will sure get the **** outta here after graduating from college, I am waiting!
By the way, why "goat" ? :confused:

-Le

No, getting into a top ranked university is not a key to greatness. The qualities you are enough to get there.When all is said and done, what you do is what matters, not numbers or where you went to school.

1. What are the benefits of studying at a top university?

Studying at a top university can provide numerous benefits, such as access to world-renowned faculty, cutting-edge research opportunities, a highly competitive and challenging academic environment, and a strong alumni network. Additionally, top universities often have a diverse student body, providing opportunities for cross-cultural learning and networking.

2. How do I increase my chances of getting accepted into a top university?

To increase your chances of being accepted into a top university, it is important to have a strong academic record, participate in extracurricular activities, and demonstrate a passion for your chosen field of study. It is also important to thoroughly research the university and tailor your application to highlight why you are a good fit for their program.

3. Are top universities worth the high cost of tuition?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and financial situation. While top universities can be expensive, they often offer generous financial aid and scholarships to help offset the cost. Additionally, the prestige and connections gained from attending a top university can lead to higher earning potential and future career opportunities.

4. What makes a university a "top" university?

There are many factors that can contribute to a university being considered "top", such as high rankings in various academic publications, a strong research reputation, a highly selective admissions process, and successful alumni. It is important to research each university individually and determine which factors are most important to you in your education.

5. Can international students also study at top universities?

Yes, top universities often have a large international student population and actively recruit students from all over the world. However, international students may need to meet additional requirements, such as demonstrating proficiency in the university's language of instruction and obtaining a student visa. It is important to thoroughly research the admissions process for international students at each university you are considering.