Studying the force on a plate from an air jet

In summary, a student discusses a lab experiment involving the study of force on a plate from an air jet. They are looking for ideas on how to derive an equation for the force on the plate. The conversation covers the use of the momentum equation and the correct equation for the force of the jet on the plate. They also discuss the possibility of theoretical values being higher or lower than actual values, with the consideration of air resistance.
skaboy607
Hi,

I have been carrying out a lab experiment where I am studying the force on a plate from an air jet. I need to come up with a theoretical derivation of an equation for the force on the plate and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to go about this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
skaboy607 said:
Hi,

I have been carrying out a lab experiment where I am studying the force on a plate from an air jet. I need to come up with a theoretical derivation of an equation for the force on the plate and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to go about this?

Thanks

Use the momentum equation to find the reaction force of the jet impinging on the flat plate.

CS

Thanks for replying, the momentum equation that I have is F=m(dot)(v2-v1), however I only have a value for the velocity leaveing the nozzle (v1). Given also is an equation that says the force of the jet on the plate is = m(dot)v(nozzle). Is this correct as what has confused me is that the plate height varies so this would make the force less the further away it got from the jet.

Thanks

skaboy607 said:
...Given also is an equation that says the force of the jet on the plate is = m(dot)v(nozzle). Is this correct as what has confused me is that the plate height varies so this would make the force less the further away it got from the jet.

Thanks

Yes that is the correct equation. Perhaps a little rearrangement would help:

[tex] F = \rho Q_0 V_0 \sin{\theta}[/tex]

and since [itex]Q = VA [/itex] we can substitue and get:

[tex] F = \rho A V_0^2 \sin{\theta}[/tex]

where,

A is the area of the jet striking the plate
V_0 is the initial velocity of the fluid
[itex] \rho[/itex] is the fluid density
[itex] \theta[/itex] is the angle the plate makes with the horizontal

If perpendicular it will be [itex] \sin{\theta} = 1 [/itex] and will reduce further to:

[tex] F = \rho A V_0^2[/tex], which is the equation you were given for the lab.

Hope this helps.

CS

U can also calculate the forcce by using,

F=PxA

F=force applied
P=Pressure of the air jet
A=Area of the tube

I know this is from a while back, but still: if anyone gets this: I'm doing a similar problem at the moment, but I also have real values measured in the Lab, is it likely the theoretical values would be higher or lower than the actual values?

Just want to check I'm on the right lines before I go and write an entire report on the wrong thing...

Thanks very much,
Lauren

Well it depends, were the theoretical value calculations negating any values (for example, sometimes you ignore air resistance when doing projectile motion)?

If not, and the equations used detail all required variables, the theoretical values shouldn't be that far off the real values.

Air resistance is neglected.
Well I have values of 10.104 - 10.202 for the practical measurements and 7.167 for the theoretical value. I think the calculations are all right, but will go over the numbers again to check

Air resistance is neglected?

But you're measuring air resistance with this experiment (force of air jet on a plate)?

Ah, good point, well yeah.
Guess it isn't then.
I meant more that I don't know if we're supposed to be including whether the air jet slows down due to the other air particles in the room...It isn't mentioned so I assumed not.

1. What is the purpose of studying the force on a plate from an air jet?

The purpose of studying the force on a plate from an air jet is to understand the impact of air flow on the plate, which can be useful in various engineering and design applications. By studying this force, we can determine the stability and structural integrity of the plate, as well as the effects of air flow on its performance.

2. How is the force on a plate from an air jet measured?

The force on a plate from an air jet can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a force sensor or load cell, pressure transducers, or strain gauges. These instruments can be attached to the plate and connected to a data acquisition system to record the force exerted on the plate by the air jet.

3. What factors can affect the force on a plate from an air jet?

Several factors can affect the force on a plate from an air jet, including the velocity and direction of the air flow, the shape and size of the plate, and the properties of the air such as density and viscosity. The angle of the plate with respect to the direction of the air jet, as well as any obstacles or barriers in the air flow, can also impact the force exerted on the plate.

4. How can the force on a plate from an air jet be controlled?

The force on a plate from an air jet can be controlled by adjusting the velocity and direction of the air flow, as well as the shape and angle of the plate. Additionally, the use of aerodynamic devices such as spoilers or vortex generators can help manipulate the air flow and reduce the force on the plate. In some cases, the addition of a counterforce, such as a weight or magnetic field, may also be used to control the force on the plate.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the force on a plate from an air jet?

Studying the force on a plate from an air jet has practical applications in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and wind energy. By understanding the force exerted by air flow, engineers can design more efficient and stable structures, improve the performance of vehicles and aircraft, and optimize the placement and orientation of wind turbines. This knowledge can also be applied in the development of new technologies and materials for better withstanding air flow forces.