Stunning 2017 Eclipse Photos of the Corona Chromosphere

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2017 Eclipse Photos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
68 replies · 11K views
Janus said:
A couple of points of interest in the photo I got. The colored dots on the edge of the disk are caused by solar prominences. ( I didn't realize this until I saw some higher res photos that showed them clearer in those positions.
I also caught the star Regulus in the shot. it is the white dot in the lower left of the image.
View attachment 209606

Have you seen this guys pictures yet?

Astrophotography by Jerry Lodriguss

http://www.astropix.com/2017_Total_Solar_Eclipse_02.html
Lodriguss_Total_Eclipse_02.jpg

Exposure: Composite of 2 frames:
2nd Contact Baily's Beads - 1/4000th second
3rd Contact Chromosphere and Prominences - 1/8000th secondhttp://www.astropix.com/2017_Total_Solar_Eclipse_Corona.html
Lodriguss_2017_Total_Solar_Eclipse_HDR_Corona.jpg

Exposure: High-Dynamic-Range Composite of 36 frames at 14 different exposures
[Yup. That's Regulus off to the upper left.
He was about 10 miles to my west during the eclipse]

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.lodriguss​

Still no word/images from Miloslav Druckmuller.
This is one of my greatest regrets about the eclipse.
I drove through Mitchell, and there were no parking spots within 1/2 mile of downtown.
I was worried, that if I parked, someone would steal everything from the back of my pickup truck.
About 4 hours later, on the drive home, I realized that, although the bed was full, the total value of everything was about $15.
Sigh...

The last time all of my camping gear was stolen, about 30 years ago, I upgraded, and was really happy about that.
And yes, my camping gear is now all 30 years old.
Should have parked.
Sackafrassin' beejimaheezits!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, hsdrop, jim mcnamara and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
laurenrayjohn said:
Amazing, thank you all for sharing the photos!
Welcome to PF!
 
OmCheeto said:
Have you seen this guys pictures yet?

Astrophotography by Jerry Lodriguss
​
​

I've seen these and have been studying them closely to be prepared for 2024... :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
Amazing photos, thanks everyone!
 
OmCheeto said:
...
Still no word/images from Miloslav Druckmuller.
...
As I suspected, he has the most stunning image I've seen so far.

Corona from [Mitchell] Oregon , about 7 miles from where I was.
Composition of 161 eclipse images taken with two cameras.​

No wonder it took him a month!

The following had me quite confused up until now.
I knew his team was going to be in two locations, and the other one was to be Whisky mountain.
There is a "Whiskey Mountain" about 50 miles from Mitchell, but it was outside of totality.
His Whiskey Mountain is in Wyoming, 520 miles away, and was dead centerline of the eclipse.

Corona from Whiskey mountain
Coordinate N 43° 25.234', W 109° 37.883', Alt. 3165 m​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri