1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid question about superposition of quantum states

1. May 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A quantum-mechanical harmonic oscillator with frequency ω has Hamiltonian eigenstates |n with eigenvalues En = (n + 1/2) ħω. Initially, the oscillator is in the state (|0> + |1>)/√2. Write down how the state of the oscillator evolves as a function of time t. Calculate the first time for which the time-evolved state is orthogonal to the initial one.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to evolve the states in time using the exponential solution to the TDSE.

|ψ(t)> = (e-iωt/2|0> + e-3iωt/2|1>)/√2.

This is fine. now I want the probability of finding the system in state |0> at time t. I bra through with <0|
    <0|ψ(t)> = (e-iωt/2<0|0> + e-3iωt/2<0|1>)/√2.

<0|1> are orthogonal states so their inner product dissapears. <0|0> = 1

<0|ψ(t)> = e-iωt/2/√2

The probability of finding the state is |<0|ψ(t)>|2

P(|0>) = 1/2

Now here's the problem. When I take the mod square, the time dependence disappears, implying that the probability is constant for all time. This isn't true, at least I don't think it's true. Isn't the probability supposed to oscillate? I've forgotten how this oscillation comes about in bra-ket notation.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2015 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no problem with your calculation.

However, this is not what they are asking: they are asking the first time at which the state is orthogonal to the initial one so you need [itex] \Bigl| \langle \psi(0) | \psi(t) \rangle \Bigr|^2 [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted