Difference between stationary/non-stationary quantum states

In summary, a stationary state is any quantum state that consists of only one eigenstate of the Hamiltonian operator. Non-stationary states are a superposition of multiple energy eigenstates. The probabilities of a stationary state are time independent, while the probabilities of a non-stationary state are time dependent if the observable being measured does not commute with the Hamiltonian basis. It is possible to have a state that is not made up of energy eigenvalues/eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, but it can still be a stationary state if the superposing states have the same energy. The concept of stationary states applies to all types of Hamiltonian operators, but for the purposes of this exam, we will only be working with spin 1/
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

I apologize, this is not really a homework problem. I have an exam coming up, and I need to be able to explain the difference between a stationary/non-stationary quantum state in a qualitative way, and in what cases these states have time dependent probabilities. I am hoping someone can correct my understanding if it is wrong. Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A stationary state is any quantum state which consists of only one eigenstate of the Hamiltonian H. For example, if a spin 1/2 system in the z basis with a magnetic field in the z-direction, a stationary state we may work with is |ψ(0)> = a|+>. In the same system, a non-stationary state would be |ψ(0)> = a|+> + b|->. The important distinction is that stationary states are composed of one energy eigenstate of the H, and non-stationary states are a superposition of n energy eigenstates of H (for a spin 1/2 system, this would only be up to n=2).

Probabilities of any state are time independent if:
  • The state we are measuring the probability in is stationary OR
  • We are measuring the probability in a basis that commutes with the basis of the Hamiltonian.
Probabilities of any state are time dependent if:
  • The state is non-stationary and we are measuring the probability in a basis that does not commute with the basis of the Hamiltonian.
Also sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to have a state that is not made up of energy eigenvalues/eigenstates of the Hamiltonian? I don't think you can.

Physics news on Phys.org
acdurbin953 said:
Also sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to have a state that is not made up of energy eigenvalues/eigenstates of the Hamiltonian?
No. The eigenstates of the Hamiltonian form a complete basis, as do the eigenstates of any observable. Therefore, it is always possible to write any state as a linear combination of those eigenstates.

When one talks about stationary states, it's actually more about the time dependency of the observables. If a system is known to be in a stationary state, then the expectation value of any observable quantity measured on this system will be time independent. If on the other hand the state is non-stationary state, any observables which do not commute with the Hamiltonian will have time-dependent expectation value.
acdurbin953 said:
The important distinction is that stationary states are composed of one energy eigenstate of the H
Not always, consider this superposition state in a hydrogen atom ##|\psi\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|u_{211}\rangle+\frac{1}{2}|u_{200}\rangle##. This state is a stationary state.

As for the time-dependency of the probabilities, it makes more sense to talk about the (non)stationary states as a basis, not as the state of the system. It's just a matter of which basis you want to use to expand the state of a given system.

blue_leaf77 said:
When one talks about stationary states, it's actually more about the time dependency of the observables. If a system is known to be in a stationary state, then the expectation value of any observable quantity measured on this system will be time independent. If on the other hand the state is non-stationary state, any observables which do not commute with the Hamiltonian will have time-dependent expectation value.

Not always, consider this superposition state in a hydrogen atom ##|\psi\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|u_{211}\rangle+\frac{1}{2}|u_{200}\rangle##. This state is a stationary state.

As for the time-dependency of the probabilities, it makes more sense to talk about the (non)stationary states as a basis, not as the state of the system. It's just a matter of which basis you want to use to expand the state of a given system. How can it be stationary?

The bold text makes sense to me, however I'm confused now about the hydrogen atom state. Is the state you wrote a spin 1/2 state? I think we are only dealing with spin 1/2 states, and we have yet to have any homework/practice problems where a superposition state was stationary and any observable quantity measured was time independent.

acdurbin953 said:
Is the state you wrote a spin 1/2 state?
No, they are the eigenfunctions of hydrogen atom Hamiltonian ##u_{nlm}##.
acdurbin953 said:
I think we are only dealing with spin 1/2 states
Why do you have to specialize the discussion on the spin 1/2 states only. The concept of stationary states applies to all kinds of Hamiltonian.
acdurbin953 said:
we have yet to have any homework/practice problems where a superposition state was stationary
Stationary states are equivalent to the eigenstates of the system's Hamiltonian. Keeping this in mind, a superposition state can be a stationary state if the superposing states all have the same energy. For example of hydrogen atom, the energy is a function of the principal quantum number, ##n##, only. Therefore, eigenstates ##|u_{nlm}\rangle## with different ##l## and ##m## but the same ##n## can superpose to form a stationary state.

blue_leaf77 said:
No, they are the eigenfunctions of hydrogen atom Hamiltonian ##u_{nlm}##.

Why do you have to specialize the discussion on the spin 1/2 states only. The concept of stationary states applies to all kinds of Hamiltonian.

Stationary states are equivalent to the eigenstates of the system's Hamiltonian. Keeping this in mind, a superposition state can be a stationary state if the superposing states all have the same energy. For example of hydrogen atom, the energy is a function of the principal quantum number, ##n##, only. Therefore, eigenstates ##|u_{nlm}\rangle## with different ##l## and ##m## but the same ##n## can superpose to form a stationary state.

Hmm, I should have prefaced my question - the class I am in is an intro course, and our professor told us we'd only be working with either spin 1/2 or spin 1 systems. I know that the concept applies to all kinds of Hamiltonian operators. For this exam it was specified that all systems would be spin 1/2, so I was just looking to make sure I understood that type of system.

acdurbin953 said:
Hmm, I should have prefaced my question - the class I am in is an intro course, and our professor told us we'd only be working with either spin 1/2 or spin 1 systems. I know that the concept applies to all kinds of Hamiltonian operators. For this exam it was specified that all systems would be spin 1/2, so I was just looking to make sure I understood that type of system.
Every system which involves spin-1/2 particles are called spin-1/2 system. A hydrogen atom is also a spin-1/2 system because the electron (and proton) is a spin-1/2 particle, however in the nonrelativistic limit, the spin makes no effect at all to the energy levels. This means, for a given spatial wavefunction ##u_{nlm}(r,\theta,\phi)##, both spin up and down have the same energy. If the particle (of whatever spin value) is in a region of uniform magnetic field like what you used as an example above, the energy is not degenerate - it depends on the orientation of the spin. In this case, no superposition state can be a stationary state.

In general, you have to pay attention to what kind of Hamiltonian the particle is subject to. Although your prof told you that he will only consider spin-1/2 or 1 particle, that doesn't mean the system will always be that of a uniform magnetic field.

Likes gracy

1. What is the difference between stationary and non-stationary quantum states?

Stationary quantum states are those that do not change over time, meaning the probability of finding a particle in that state does not change. Non-stationary quantum states, on the other hand, are time-dependent and the probability of finding a particle in that state can change over time.

2. How are stationary quantum states described mathematically?

Stationary quantum states are described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation describes how the wave function of a particle evolves over time.

3. Can a non-stationary quantum state become a stationary state?

Yes, a non-stationary quantum state can become a stationary state if it reaches a state of equilibrium. This can happen when the system reaches a state of maximum stability and the probability of finding the particle in that state does not change over time.

4. How do stationary and non-stationary quantum states affect the behavior of particles?

Stationary quantum states play a crucial role in determining the energy levels and stability of particles. Non-stationary quantum states, on the other hand, can lead to changes in energy levels and can cause particles to transition between different states.

5. Can stationary quantum states exist in a system with external influences?

Yes, stationary quantum states can still exist in a system with external influences. However, these external influences can cause non-stationary quantum states to become dominant and can lead to changes in the behavior of the particles in the system.