1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sturm-Louville problem: u'' - u = x, u(0)=u(π)=0.

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

screen-capture-5-10.png

2. Relevant equations

From the lecture notes:

"To study the Sturm-Louiville operator Ls in greater detail, we first need to determine it's adjoint operator, denoted by Ls. [...] The adjoint of the Sturm-Louiville operator satisfies the relationship

<Lsy1,y2>=<y1,Lsy2>,​

where y1 and y2 are two arbitrary functions satisfying the prescribed boundary conditions."

3. The attempt at a solution

I went straight ahead and tried to find the adjoint of the Sturm-Louiville operator. It got really messy, and I'm wondering whether there's something obvious that I'm missing.

screen-capture-6-6.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    First, the operator Lu=u''-u≠x in general, otherwise there's no need to solve the DE.
    Second, the boundary condition u(0)=u(pi)=0 applies to all u, v, w, etc. By letting <Lu,v>=<u,Ad{L}v>, and using integration by parts, it can be shown Ad{L}=L.

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    Got it.

Now the next part says

Well, since L*v = Lv = v '' - v, we need to solve v'' - v = 0 with v(0) = v(pi) = 0. Isn't the only solution v(x) = 0, since v '' - v = 0 implies v = C1ex + C2e-x????/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook